Please recommend a Meatloaf recipe.

I have one to share, but am really looking for something new. Something not crazy difficult or using hard to find ingredients.

Here is the one I have been using. Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Anyone have a good one? I need something new.

Discussions about food go in Cafe Society, so off we go!

That looks like a perfectly cromulent recipe; I’d try it in a minute.

My regular meatloaf is just a meatloaf version of my regular meatball recipe. More Italian-American than anything else.

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2-1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 small onion
Handful each of fresh parsley and basil (can sub 1 tblsp each dried)
S&P

If you have a small food processor, use it to 1) make crumbs out of your old stale bread, and 2) puree your peeled sliced onion with the herbs and the egg. If you don’t, tear the bread up small, beat the egg, and mince the herbs and onion together with your Big Knife.

Tear up the meat and put it in a mixing bowl; top with crumbs and egg/onion/herb moosh. Season with salt & pepper. Work the ingredients together with your hands, then form into a flat football and lay it in a baking pan. If you like, drizzle V-8 juice or tomato juice over the top. Bake at 350 for one hour.

Mine is pretty similar, minus green pepper, horseradish, mustard. Almost every recipe I’ve seen uses bread crumbs, which I have never, ever used. Fresh white bread, dammit!

The** Mattloaf**:
2 to 2 and 1/2 lbs 80% ground beef
1 lb Italian Sausage (hot or mild, your choice)
2 Eggs
4-5 pieces of white bread (NOT bread crumbs) sprinkled with water.*
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or parm/regano mix)
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 package Lipton Beef Soup mix (Beef, Beefy Onion, or Beef & Mushroom, you pick)
You can also adjust ingredients to make it larger if you want.

Mix, shape, and put into a covered roasting pan. Pan should be big enough that the loaf doesn’t touch the sides. Put in the oven at 350 for an hour and a half. If you want, poke holes in some potatoes with a fork and put those on the oven rack next to the Mattloaf pan.
Alternative option: If most people like the crispy outside, you can make 4-5 small loaves instead of one big one. That gives you a lot more outside andnot as much middle. That also lowers the cooking time a bit if you’re in a rush.

*Mixing in bread sprinkled with water makes it stick together better IMO, plus it gives you these small little chunks of bread in the loaf. MMmmmmm:cool:

Hard to go wrong with Alton Brown. I usually use ground chuck and ground lamb, but either way works. Be careful not to overwork the meat or the loaf will be dense. Also, either free-form the loaf on a baking sheet or form it in a loaf pan and then dump it out on a baking sheet. This gives it a nice browned crust all over instead of boiling it in grease in the loaf pan.

My sister’s meatloaf uses oatmeal for filler and is pretty good.

According to Chris Christie, the meatloaf at the White House that Trump forced him to eat was “good” (although he did not commit to it meeting the advertised level of “fabulous”).

Yea gods, that story never gets old. Anyway, email WhiteHouse.gov and see if you can get the recipe. I want to know how good it is.

Stranger

So does mine. Use the real stuff, not the instant oatmeal.

Also, I’ve used mashed potato buds (basically dehydrated potatoes) in place of bread crumbs. My basic recipe comes from the classic Betty Crocker Cookbook but with the oatmeal.

Another from genius kitchen/Quaker Oats
2 lbs ground beef.
1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup ketchup or 1 cup salsa.
3⁄4 cup Quaker Oats.
1⁄2 cup chopped onion.
1 large egg, beaten.
1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
salt and pepper.

I use the salsa choice.

Meatloaf recipe? Simple. Just hire Jim Steinman to compose and arrange all the music for ya. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been using the one that beat Bobby Flay for a few years. It’s good. The key is to bake it on a flat sheet pan, not a loaf pan, so it doesn’t soak in its own grease.

Recipe courtesy of Jack Collucci and Rocco Collucci

See post #5.

Fake news! Like Chris Christie has ever had to be forced to eat meatloaf.

I’ve posted this elsewhere…

Aunt Sissy’s Delightfully Different Meatloaf
In 2 lbs hamburger or turkey mix in:
1 whole onion & one whole green pepper, processed, or diced very fine.
2/3 C Parmesan cheese,
1 C Stove top stuffing, crushed or processed fine
1 egg,
2-3T French Dressing,
salt, pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, to taste.
Glaze with honey mustard.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

He seems more like a pasta-and-unlimited-breadsticks guy to me, but I’m sure he wouldn’t turn his nose at a passing meatloaf as long as he could drown it in ketchup.

Stranger

I make meatloaf the way my dad made it. Meatloaf is ‘comfort food’, so that’s how I like it. I don’t know the actual recipe, but I’m pretty sure this is close

2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 cup bread crumbs
½ cup catsup
2 eggs
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
About 1 cup water
1 can tomato sauce
½ cup dried onions (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix everything except the tomato sauce together. (I use a stand mixer to do this.) Form the mixture into a loaf and put into a baking dish. Cook for about an hour and a half, until done. Drain the grease, and pour the tomato sauce over the meatloaf. Put it back into the oven to thicken up the sauce.

Not fancy, classic '50s/'60s cooking. But I like it.

As much as I despise Paula Deen, this meatloaf recipe is our go to. I don’t use green pepper, but otherwise I follow the recipe. Sometimes we mix it up and add Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilis instead of diced tomatoes.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/old-fashioned-meat-loaf-aka-basic-meatloaf-recipe-1953100

I like the simplicity of going to the store, buying a box of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and reading their recipe for Superior Meatloaf on the box. Buy the ingredients it calls for and off you go. The soup has I think just the right blend of spices for the dish and it comes out great every time.

I make meatloaf in the smoker using this recipe:
Ole Mand Jim’s smoked meatloaf

Free-forming the loaves allows more smoke on the loaf surface. I go a step further and put the loaves on a wire rack to let the smoke into the bottoms. They drip a lot of grease so pan placement is important. I also like to use different colors of bell peppers or jalapenos for a more interesting looking slice.

I’d bet money that that’s where dad got his recipe.

I like Johnny LA’s recipe but would sub ground sirloin for ground beef. I could never reproduce my mom’s recipe until she told me that trick.