Plumbing Pro's: A Question For You

What would it take for one to have an industrial toilet installed in ones personal residence? You know the toilet: tankless, hard-piped, chrome lever flusher, mighty whoosh flush. Don’t need answer fast. :slight_smile: Thanks.

You can go the American Standard Commercial Toiletwebsite and pick one out. I’m not a professional plumber, but it appears it will take more money than common household toilets, for the toilet, and I assume for the installation as well. I heard about people trying to install these in apartments in NYC long ago and the only problem mentioned then was a lack of water pressure.

Found this thread from a DIY site. Basically the pros said it was a very bad idea. From what I gleaned from the posts there is not enough pressure for the toilet to work even as both types are 1.6 gallons per flush.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-252.html

I did not read the whole thread FYI

Capt of the Reavers

I am not a plumber, but the commercial/industrial toilets I’ve seen have had supply pipes that appeared to be two inches in diameter, as compared with the (1/2"? 3/4"?) supply lines common in houses.

Do you just want it to look like that or do you want it to work well. At work, we got one of those ‘pressurized’ ones. It does make a whoosh, sound, but it looks like a normal toilet since everything is contained in the same type of tank you’d see on any other toilet (if you open it up, it’s dry and looks very different then a normal tank).

I swear you could flush a small child down this toilet without a problem. However, it’s loud and I probably wouldn’t want one in my house if it was going to be sharing a wall with a bedroom.

Tankless requires a larger mains all the way to the toilet, eg 3" for residential pressure…,

You can hide a smaller tank in the wall. EG Joey’s picture is of a smaller device that could be embedded in the wall.

Here’s the same thing as Joey

This system utilizes water main pressure to pre-pressurize a plastic tank located inside what otherwise appears to be the more typical ceramic flush tank. A flush cycle begins each time a user flushes the bowl. After a user flushes and the water in the pre-pressurized tank has finished emptying into the bowl, the outlet valve in the plastic tank shuts. Then the high pressure water from the main refills the plastic tank. Inside the tank is an air-filled balloon-like rubber diaphragm. As the higher-pressure mains water enters the tank, the rubber diaphragm is also pressurized and shrinks accordingly. During flushing, the compressed air inside the diaphragm pushes the water into the bowl at a flow rate which is significantly higher than a tank style gravity-flow toilet. This system requires slightly less water than a gravity-flow toilet- or alternatively can be more effective for a similar amount of water. Pressure-assist toilets are sometimes found in both private (single, multiple and lodging) bathrooms as well as light commercial installations (such as offices). They seldom clog, but the pressurized tanks require replacement about once every 10 years. They also tend to be noisier - a concern for residential settings. The inner bowl stays cleaner (in appearance) than gravity counterparts because of the larger water surface area and the toilet’s forceful flush. Newer toilets from several companies such as Kohler that are pressure-assisted use 1.4 US gallons (5.3 l) to 1.1 US gallons (4.2 l) per flush.

We have a wall-hung residential toilet, the tank is in the wall, and the big flush buttons on the wall cover up the access to the wall tank, in case something ever goes wrong. It looks kind of like an industrial toilet, if it’s only the look you’re interested in.

One advantage in a small bathroom is that you don’t have the tank taking up space in the room so the bowl can sit several inches closer to its wall, leaving more space in front of the bowl.

Not a direct answer to your question and I’m not a plumbing pro, just a sidelight in case you’re interested.
Roddy

a 3 inch main is not necessary. But most are inch and a quarter at the stop. Most stops on homes are 3/8" or 1/2".

What about an elevated tank, to achieve more pressure at the bowl during a flush? Assuming that’s why the OP wants an industrial toilet. I didn’t see one at that American Standard link, but someone must still make them.

After looking at the specs for the toilets at the link it doesn’t seem to be an issue of pressure per se, but the volume and rate of flow. The specs say those will work with pressure as low as 20psi, which ought to be available in most homes, at least on a public water supply.

I had the same problem with turds that were hard to flush, so I started eating more fibre and the problem went away. Toilet flushes really efficiently now.

:smiley:

Thank you, everyone, for the responses. You’ll never believe this, but I don’t want such a toilet, I was asking for a friend.
:wink:

Sorry, I didn’t mean for the raised tank to feed an industrial toilet. I didn’t know exactly why the OP wanted an industrial toilet, and was wondering if that would be an alternative.

Do you know why he wanted an industrial toilet?

No prob, we’re all guessing on the motive here, unless it’s just the mighty Whoosh.