Police pursuits across state lines

In the first Straight Dope book, Cecil writes:

“Although Illinois cops, for instance, can chase you all over the Land of Lincoln, they can’t pursue you into adjoining states.”

However, I’m sitting here watching one of those “Wild Police Videos” shows, and just saw Arkansas cops chasing a car into Texas and arresting the perps there. I’m not a lawyer, but I find it hard to believe that cops must stop at the state line if they’re in hot pursuit of, say, a bank robber.

I used to live on State Line road, dividing Calumet City, IL from Hammond, IN. This was right by Saint Margaret Mercy North Hospital in the Red Light district. We had just the opposite problem. Since the bars were in Cal City, the Indiana Cops used to push the drunks and such back over to IL as they didn’t want to have to deal with them. It made for quite the amusing show.

I remember on the show ‘cops’ they addressed this issue, it seams when a perp crosses a state line, the cop can follow but must radio the other state police, they can continue to have him follow, call it off, or more then likely set up a point where the other state can take up the chase. The only place that police and fed’s must come to a screaching halt is the US Mexico border. I seen video of crooks smashing into cars at customs to hpoefully push the car in front of them and them on Mex. soil. They didsn’t talk about Canada, but I assume that we have some persuit agreement

… taking these sea birds down to the shorefront as a sacrifice to the long-lived porpoises, they tried to quietly step over a lion (the state emblem) and were immediately arrested for taking a gull across a state lion for immortal porpoises.

I did spare you the 10-minute version.

“I remember on the show ‘cops’ they addressed this issue, it seams when a perp crosses a state line, the cop can follow but must radio the other state police, they can continue to have him follow, call it off, or more then likely set up a point where the other state can take up the chase.”

So in other words, Cecil was wrong^H^H^H^H^Hmisinformed?