Police shoot and kill armed man at Texas summer camp (Breaking news, 2022-06-12)

Police responded to a 9-1-1 call from a summer camp just outside Dallas, Texas, and reports of a man armed with a gun inside the Duncansville Fieldhouse, where 150 children were gathered for summer camp.

They arrived within two minutes of the call, engaged the suspect, and killed him.

Sounds like good news and a job done right by the police.

Yes. Although, considering it’s Texas, I’m wondering what law he broke prior to being killed. It’s probably legal to carry a gun everywhere in the state. (I know. Devil’s Advocate.)

Good cops, give donuts.

Yes, but it’s sad that nowadays our first reaction to a story like this is what you said, rather than “Holy shit! There was a gunman at a summer camp with 150 children!”

Actually my first thought was to be happy none of the kids were killed or injured. But otherwise true, sadly true.

Probably failure to comply with the cops’ order to drop the gun, putting them in fear of their safety.

Maybe he heard there was a man armed with a gun in there, and went in to engage him.

Ah, the infinite mirrors theory.

Now, THAT is good police work!

I read that as “the infinite morons theory”.

You are aware that, for the rest of the “civilised” world, what constitutes a good result would have been “local law authorities approached the man, disarmed him and he is now being questioned in custody”?

Our bar has been set pretty low, especially lately and especially in Texas.

…until it’s discovered that he was the riflery range counselor & was carrying ½ dozen BB guns out to setup for the day

Alas yes.
Though not particularly lately nor just in Texas.

Cite, please.

Yeah, I’m very glad that none of the campers were hurt, but the ideal result would have been an arrest, not a kill. Even if you don’t value the gunman as a person, we need to be able to understand people like this, so we can better prevent these situations, and that’s a lot harder when the people like this always end up dead.

I do not think he was being serious.

He is clearly not stating that as having happened. Just a fearful hope it doesn’t turn out to be.

I don’t think that was in the cards… looks like he had his gun out and actually shot at the cops.

From NBC 5 DFW’s story on the incident:

During a search of the area, police said officers found the man armed with a handgun in the gymnasium and exchanged gunfire. The man was shot by police and given medical aid before being transferred to a hospital where he later died.