Policy on witnessing

After some debate the management has decided to establish a new policy for “witnessing” (religious proselytizing), which attempts to balance the following considerations:

(1) Free speech is good.

(2) A lot of SDMB members (and some SDMB staff) would sooner put up with suppertime telemarketing calls than submit to witnessing.

(3) We don’t want to come across like Nero persecuting the Christians.

So here’s the policy, effective immediately:

a. Proselytizing and religious discussions generally (other than strictly factual inquiries) should be confined to the Great Debates forum. Proselytizing in other forums will be deleted.

b. In the Great Debates forum, proselytizing should be limited to threads started for that purpose or to which a discussion of religion and related matters has some relevance. Proselytizing inserted into inappropriate threads will be deleted. We reserve the right to limit what we consider redundant or excessive posts or threads along these lines.

woooooohoooooo
applauds and whistles
sorry - couldn’t contain myself =)

I dunno how effective this is going to be…

Maybe if the policy was worded “Thou shalt…” and “Thou shalt not…”

And maybe if there were 10 of them…

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Halleluja, brother! That’s an inspired idea. Can I get a witness?

(4) Nor like The Inquisition persecuting Infidels.

Men will cease to commit atrocities only when they cease to believe absurdities.
-Voltaire

Can this be expanded to include discussions of how powerful “The Force” is? :wink:

Carpe hoc!
(The Artist formerly known as pathunt)

“The Force” has been revealed to be some kind of critter or something that inhabits our cell structure (or something oh who gives a shit somebody will jump in here and turn this into a Star Wars thread now) and hence cannot be classified as a religious manifestation.