Poll: Checking your paycheck

I thought I’d take a little poll:

When you receive your paycheck, do you immediately look to see how much you made this time around?

Obviously, this question is directed at those who work for an hourly wage, since a salaried worker is probably getting roughly the same amount each paycheck.

Me: I used to. A few months ago, however, I just decided the numbers weren’t going to change between the time I take my pay envelope from the HR lady and the time I get to the bank. So now I just go straight to the bank and open the envelope there.

I look at my pay stub every payday, but not really to see how much I made. It’s usually about the same amount. I check it to make sure all of my deductions are accurate, all of my sick, float, vacation time is accurate, and if I’ve submitted for any flex spending reimbursements, they are in there, etc.

I’ve never found an error on my pay stub, so I don’t know why exactly I am so adamant about verifying it, well, other than the fact that it’s money, heh. And it’s set up to directly deposit a specific amount into my husband’s checking account and the balance in mine. No need to go to the bank.

I work solely on commission. You’re darn tootin’ I check it. :slight_smile:

Same here.

I don’t get an actual paystub tho’. It’s all done on line.

Yeah, I keep a spreadsheet at home of the hours I work. I check the paystub against that to make sure I didn’t get dicked out of a shift three weeks ago that I wouldn’t remember now.

And yes, it has happened before. :frowning:

I’m salaried and I check it.

You’d be surprised how often that they get it wrong - especially where leave is involved. I’d say that they stuff up at least twice a year.

Mine is direct deposit, so I already know the dollar amount before I go to work (I check my account before I leave for work to be sure the money is in there), but I do always check it to make sure everything is correct. I have found a few errors in the past (not necessarily at this job) so I always check. I also like to see my savings grow – since I have money go straight into a savings account (and also a Christmas club account) that I never access any other way, it’s nice to see once a week just how much I have managed to not spend!

Ditto. Mine are usually pretty straightforward, but once in a blue moon I’ve caught errors in things like overtime. Always better to double-check. Besides comparing paychecks ( overtime worked, hours of vacation on the books, sick leave, etc. ) is kinda a weird little cultural habit at my job. Not constantly, but often enough to be commonplace.

ETA: Oh and since I work 24/7, we get our pay stubs ( and checks if you’re the 1 in 10,000 to get a real check ) cut early. The check goes in by direct deposit on Friday, but we get the stub ahead of time on Thursday. Further incentive to look and see what you’re getting ( though you can also check online by Wednesday evening, usually ).

Heh. The only mistake I’ve caught on mine happened the time I put in for two personal days, and when I got my check I discovered I’d been paid $16.00 instead of 16 hours.

“How the heck did that happen?” said the HR lady.

Yup, every time. But I’m a contractor, my check is based on a time sheet that I submit every couple weeks, and the guy who writes the checks is dyslexic enough that at least a couple times a year he reverses a couple numbers. I’ve never had him reverse in HIS favor, but I believe in karma just enough to always call him and say “Joe? That check that’s $600 more than I billed, is that just an unexpected bonus or did you just switch the 3 and the 9 on my invoice?”

Someday my honesty will prove to be worth it, I just know it!

The checks get messed up sometimes so always check to be sure it’s correct including the date and that it’s signed. How about your check on Dec 24 dated Dec. 26. The bank took that one but said they shouldn’t. Somebody else got a check for 400 hours. They couldn’t cash it. Nobody signed the check then the bank won’t take it for everybody that got paid.

I don’t really look at my (direct deposit, e-mailed) paycheck information anymore. A couple of years ago, I did happen to look one day, and saw a puzzling $19 additional adjustment with some weird text code I’d never seen before. So I called payroll, and they told me that I’d gotten a mid-year raise ($1000/year) that my supervisor(s) hadn’t gotten around to telling me about. I liked the raise, but I think it’s funny that my first response was that it was some random key entry error.

I always do, habit from when I worked hourly at a job that gave me irregular hours.

I still work hourly, but regular hours now so unless I’m sick or late/leave early it’s always the same. It helps though, as sometimes they do mess up, most recently for me at the beginning of the year.

Yep. It’s direct deposit, so checking the paystub is sometimes quicker than going online.

I do check that the payment received from my agent matches the amount I billed.

Back when I was on salary plus holiday bonuses, I did check to see how much I’d made that month and that the bonuses matched what I’d been expecting (ie, if that month I’d worked four sundays and a holiday, I’d gotten five bonuses).

My pay has always been directly deposited. Regular fortnightly paper summaries, showing gross pay, tax and other deductions got phased out about seven or eight years ago. Now we don’t get anything. If you want to check, you have to go online into the payroll system. I usually don’t bother.

I pull my check out of the envelope and put it in my wallet, so i do glance at it to make sure the numbers are right. I work pretty consistent hours, so while there may be a few dollar difference, its fairly obvious if something is wrong. I don’t keep track of every minute though, so i imagine i’ve been shorted here and there. Not a big deal in the grand scheme… I’ve likely slacked off enough to cover it. :slight_smile:

I still get a check, btw, because I work weekend nights across town, and am sleeping when HR is in the building. Soo… until i get a huge burst of energy, I’ll just keep cashing the checks once a month.