POLL: Choose between your spouse and your soon-to-be-born child (warning -- morbid)

I’m unmarried and male.

I’d save my wife. I don’t think I’d even hesitate.

Knorf

Before the surgery, my wife told me to choose our child. I agreed. Both survived and fully recovered.

Like many people here, my gut-instinct choice would be to save my spouse. (Female, I’m not married, no kids). But if I were the pregnant one, then save the baby.

[possible highjack] A strange thing about the spouse/child decision: I think that as the baby gets older, in other situations where you could only save one (maybe not surgery, but something like you can only save one from falling off a cliff or the old from a sinking boat deal), my tendency would be to save the kid. Even if that kid is only a week or so old. Funny how that makes a difference. [/end hijack]

I’m male, and unmarried. No kids.

I’d save my my wife, no question.

I’d save my wifey.

If it were me, and my first child, I’d ask wifey to save the baby. I know she’d never honour that, but that would be my request. If I had other children, I’d want to stick around for them.

I’m female, 23, and a lesbian. I don’t have any children yet, except for the ones in my dreams.

My wife over the kid. Hell, my wife over everyone in the hospital not currently making sure my wife makes it through; and even then I’d make a deal with a devil (any devil) that he/she could have the rest of them once my wife and I safely left the place.

I’m attached to her. :wink:

I’m female, engaged, no children. I’d choose Gunslinger over the child. WARNING CALLOUS REMARK AHEAD It would be much harder to make a new Gunny.

Married, 21, no kids.

My husband. No doubt.

Well, it’s not like the child a woman may go on to have is totally and utterly interchangeable either racinchikki. You’d still be living with a lost baby and that really sucks.

Wow, I am surprised at the number of poeple who would choose the spouse over baby.

Married, three kids, female.
I would choose to save a child over my spouse. Having had three miscarriages, and living through the nightmare that was, I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to lose a baby that would have a chance if I made the decision for him/her to live.

Well, yes, that’s very true. And I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was… um… crap, my language skills abandoned me. I didn’t mean to belittle the loss of a baby.

I’m truly sorry for your losses, and don’t mean to be callous, but how many deaths of your husband have you gone through?

Making a choice like that is the nightmare. I don’t think anyone would have an easy time, however assured their choice may be at present.

Knorf

I would choose my spouse over my child. The death of an adult would just cause so much more hurt to more people than that of a newborn infant.

I have an acquaintance who claims to have been born in these circumstances. Her mother chose to die and save her baby. I shouldn’t make judgments, but she and her father don’t have a good relationship at all.

18, male, unmarried, and don’t want kids even though I love other people’s.

it’s cool ** racinchikki **.

Wife, no question or second thoughts. I think, unless the person is acts in evil ways or is nearing the natural end of their life, the value of an older, more experienced life is higher than that of a younger, less developed person. In the case of an unborn fetus it’s even more black and white.

I’m male, married, one 12 year old.

If tomorrow I was faced with this question, I would pick my wife. The unborn child wouldn’t really miss anything by dying. From their point of view, being born is pretty much the end of it all. While my wife, she’d miss life.

BUT if the question came up about my wife and my daughter, I’d pick my daughter. She’s tasted life at this point and has only had 12 years, where my wife has had more then that.

Your gender - Female
Your marital status - Married (25 years)
If you have any kids- 1st child was stillborn, 2nd is now 23 years old.

This is something that the ** LIONsob ** and I discussed when I was expecting our son due to my being very prone to high blood pressure during pregnancy. I made it clear early on that should it come down to a choice between the babys life and mine the baby was to be saved. I would have rather died than have had to endure the loss of another of my children.

If men could get pregnant I am sure he would let me know his wishes on the matter before hand as well. And I would abide by them.

Man, here.
Engaged.
I would choose my one true love, no question.

Male, engaged, no kids.

I would chose my wife and try again for kids later. No hesitation.

Female, married, two kids.

I’d save my husband in that situation, even though we don’t particularly get along all that well. My reasoning is pretty much the same as Seven’s, that he would be giving up a life and the baby didn’t have one yet. On the other hand, if I had to choose between him or one of my teenage kids, I’d choose the kid in a heartbeat.