Poll: Cost Of House, Cost Of Condo, Cost Of Apartment

This has been done, but just want an update.

In Las Vegas:

You can still buy a brand new home for about 140,000 - small three bedroom, two bath, small lot. Prices have gone up a lot in the last three years. Average price now is more like 180,000.

A condo can be bought for less, but good ones cost about 80,000 to 100,000.

Apartments start low, but in a new complex, with pool and community room can run from 850 to 1300 per month.

There are, of course, condos for 2 million dollars, homes for 60 million and apartments that cost several thousand a month. I’m talking “normal” prices for “normal” folks.

What’s it like in your area?

i used to live in a small town (when most people say small town, they mean 80k people. I mean 6k people).

Apartments - $350 a month 2 bedrooms

House $50-70k. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath.

They don’t sell condos in small towns. Unless that is double talk for a trailor. Those are $5k.

This is the city (not burbs), Portland, OR
225,000 for a decent house. Much more in most neighborhoods, some slightly less. I don’t think it’s possible to buy within the city limits under 125k or so, and it would need a polynomial buttload of work and be in a not so good neighborhood. There’s a pretty wide gap in housing prices here, depending on location.

We started looking for a decent condo and the lowest price we could find something for that we actually liked was 250k. I haven’t a clue why they’re more than houses, but they seem to be. We ended up buying a house and grin and bear the fact we gotta mow the lawn.

My first apartment here was $1600 for a loft that was about about 1k sq ft, downtown. I moved to the east side and cut my rent almost in half for about the same size, just not as trendy.

On the other hand, I used to live in very rural Western PA, (about 3k people) and paid 45,000 for a 3 bedroom, 2 car garage house with an acre and a half of land. Before that, I rented a really nice 2 bedroom apartment for $275.

Luton, UK. 3 bed end of terrace (OK, 2 bedrooms and a box-room), not the nicest area. postage-stamp of a garden, £110,000 (approx $170,000)

I live in Bergen County, New Jersey and work in real estate. It’s very pricey here, and we’re in one of the best seller’s market we’ve ever had.

Nothing is selling for less than $200K. We recently listed a piece of 50 x 100 land for $95,and it sold for $125K.

Condos and townhouses are around $100 for 1BR and up.

Apartments start at $800 - $1000 for a 1BR.

I know exactly what you mean. We just sold my grandmother’s four-bedroom house in Elizabeth [NJ] for $235,000. I nearly choked. :eek:
Granted, it’s a large house on a huge lot for that city, but it needs a ton of work. Buried beneath the plaster, the old gas lines are still there that were used before the house had electricty. The house is old, but to the best of my knowledge it has no documented historical value. After we cleaned it out, the potential the house has was evident, and it kind of broke my heart to see how badly it had fallen into disrepair over the years. I hope the new owners take the time to restore it. It really could be beautiful.

Boston area:

1. Plain house with 3 bedrooms in a regular suburb $300,000 - $400,000. In a nice suburb $500,000 - $600,000.

2. A one bedroom condo - $180,000

3. A one bedroom apartment in the city - $1200+ a month

Knoxville (based on advertisements I’ve seen for houses and condos):

Houses - anywhere from $70k-200k. Probably much more in some areas and slightly lower in others.

Condos - $60k - $150k.

Apartments, one bedroom or efficiency (I do have experience with this): $275-$650. VERY dependent on location.

House about $200,000.

Condo about $70,000. to $160,000.

$Apartment about $600.00 a month

The above are in suburban Houston.

Jackson, Miss:

Nice house, nice neighborhood, nice school: $100-$200,000
Apt. in same: $850-up
Condo: same as houses

Of course, being the Greater ! Metro ! Area ! (of the Bold New City, dontcha know) we boast a wide range of costs, from slum crack-houses in the $10,000’s to, in the creme-de-la-creme subdivisions, million dollar mansions.

I think real estate is inflated in the suburbs here. My house just can not be worth $135,000.

Calgary, Alberta - single family dwellings average around $200 000 (that’s in Canadian dollars, of course, but so are our wages, so just think of it as USD and it should translate fairly well). This is also an incredibly hot seller’s market, and there are almost no houses in any location or condition for less than $150 000.

Townhouse-style condos - start about $100 000, but average around
$125 000, I believe.

Apartment-style condos - start around $90 000, I think.

Hard to say for most cities I’ve lived in. One of those things where there is no such thing as a median price. We live in Blue Ash, which is within the beltway around city (so not really suburban, but definitely not urban), maybe a “bedroom community”. The average single family home price in Blue Ash is probably close to $400K. Nice places, no crime, great schools, blah blah. Cincinnati in general is probably closer to $160K for a house, with an extremely broad range. In the suburbs outside of the beltway it’s probably more like $200-250K, on average, for the four bedroom, 2.5 bath 2 car garage on less than 1/4 acre. Condos are a really bad idea here, in a Catch-22 sort of way, and maybe go around 100K. Apartments are, I think, generally around $600/month +, but I could be way off there.

Edmonont - ‘Starter’ homes are about $30,000 less than Calgary. The average house price is $180,000 - again, I think about 30% less than Calgary. Nice homes on manmade lakeshore lots can be had for under $300,000.

I’m in a fairly well-mixed Chicago suburb (by ‘mixed’ I mean economically, racially, and so forth.) Houses here range from $120K (a two bedroom, one bath 1920s bungalow on a city lot) to well over $350K (four bedroom, two and half bath 1980s Colonial on a cul de sac.) Taxes here are HIGH - average in my subdivision alone is about $6000 per year.

I don’t know about condos and apartments.

What amazes me is home prices in the City of Chicago!! I know of a good sized house in the city that recently sold for $750K. The El (elevated train) literally runs right through the yard (i.e. there are supports for the tracks behind the house’s fence, and the train itself passes within three feet of a window!) I’d say the “average” city house runs around $350K.