Poll for behavior during movie previews

Since this thread about behavior during movie previews is getting rather heated, I figured I’d start a poll.

I picked option 3 as the closest to my views, but I do not endorse “quiet conversations” during the previews. The most I would condone is whispering to my wife “That looks like a movie we would want to see.”

I pick #2. Individuals are capable of quiet conversations, but groups of people are not. Not only do all those “quiet conversations” add up, but since the purpose of a conversation is to convey information the person talking must speak louder than the surrounding background noise just to be heard. Add in those all those incapable of conversing quietly, and the problem becomes apparent.

This.

I picked #1, but it’s a soft 1. I always get to the theater on time and the ads have always already begun and the lights are still up. They key word here is “ADS”. In the context of this conversation (and in reality)previews are not ads. The time to get your last, super important comments out, check for any life altering texts, and settle your ass down is during this time, not when previews (that other people enjoy!)are being shown.

#1. And its easier to not sit in front of people when the lights are still on.

My wish is that everyone is seated quietly and not on their phones.

I don’t think it should be required for anyone else to feel the same way. I like watching trailers but that’s not what any of us paid for so do what you want.

When someone is talking or on their phone during previews I get nervous because I start thinking that’s how they will behave during the movie. Fortunately that’s not usually the case.

Talking before the trailers is OK, as long as you keep it quiet. Whispers and soft talking. If I can understand what you are saying three rows back, you’re too loud. I am not there to hear your opinions.

Get in your seat before the scheduled start time is preferable. if you come in during the previews, YOU are the one that has to accommodate. Passing in front to find your seat is fine, but I’m not moving to another seat so you all can sit together. Get here early if you need that. Sit down quickly and quietly. Make sure your phone is off before you enter the theater - is that so difficult? You know where you’re going!

And dammit, a theater isn’t your living room! No running dialog during the movie, no “who is that? I thought he was dead. No that was the other guy!” Pay fucking attention!

And if you have to go to the bathroom, that’s fine, But your incontinence should not be my inconvenience. :slight_smile: Leave and return quickly, quietly, and efficiently.

Be respectful of those around you. Why is that so hard?

I notice that you like to mix behavior before the movie with behavior during the movie, in this thread and the original one. I’d ask that you not do so here. If I was the suspicious type, I’d suspect you were attempting to justify your position by quietly positing that they’re the same.

THat is my view as well. While I try to be completely silent during the movie, I think it acceptable to make quiet editorial comments during the previews. If you want to check your emails or send a text one last time before you shut off your phone, that’s the time to do it, but its not the time to make one last phone call.

I consider the trailers part of the movie. So do many of those posting here. “During the movie” is when the trailers start. So you would be wrong in your conclusion.

If you don’t agree, well, you can stay home and talk all you want.

So if you miss the trailers, do you stay until the next showing and watch them again? If you watch a movie on Netflix, do you consider it incomplete since there aren’t any trailers? How do you explain that people seeing a movie in different theaters might see completely different trailers, yet both claim to have seen the same movie?

You want to say that people should be silent during the trailers, fine, that’s what this poll is about. If you want to claim they’re actually part of the movie, then you’re being ridiculous.

Yes that’s your view.

That doesn’t mean you are correct.

Somewhere between 2 and 3. Phones should be getting turned off but quiet conversation about the previews isn’t reason to start angrily shushing people.

How can such an opinion be “incorrect”? If I have an opinion about this poll, and you have an opinion about this poll, what determines which opinion is correct-the number of people that vote the same way?
I consider movie previews to be a part of the movie going experience because they help me decide what movies I might want to see in the future. If they play no part in the way you pick which movies you want to watch you are under no obligation to pay attention to them, but (in my personal opinion) you shouldn’t cause a situation where the result is that you deprive others of right to make that decision for themselves.
Again, you can wait until you leave the theater to phone and chat, but the rest of us can’t wait until you are through to dim those lights.

But that wasn’t what Just Asking Questions said. He said that the previews are part of the movie, not part of the “movie going experience”. All I did was ask him to keep the thread on topic, keeping the concept of talking during the previews (which I’m fine with) separate from talking during the actual fucking movie itself (which I agree with him is unacceptable), and he unilaterally decided that the previews are part of the movie.

I consider a quiet conversation in this environment whispering, so I agree.

Telling people to stay home is incorrect. Even if I agree with the position, making pronouncements like that will automatically put me on the other side.

Trailers are not part of the movie. They haven’t been a unique part of the moving going experience for quite a while since they started posting them on YouTube and other platforms. Trailers are ads. They are not part of the movie. Just because you may like watching them like I do does not make them part of the movie. Saying they are is factually incorrect.

I picked option 2 simply because I rarely go to movies so the trailers are interesting to me. But I’m also aware that people can end up being late to take a seat due to lack of staff at the theater or little Mick needs to make a bathroom run first, etc.

Option 2. If you’re disturbing other people watching the previews while you’re in the theater, that’s dickish behavior. You can quietly leave or enter the theater whenever you need to, but when you’re in the theater and the lights are down, you should be as inconspicuous as possible so as not to interfere with other people’s enjoyment.

If you need to treat a movie theater like your own living room, then stay home and watch movies in your own living room. Don’t inflict your hanging-out-at-home behavior on a bunch of strangers (or even non-strangers) in a public space you’re not the boss of.