Poll: How fast is your internet?

I am SO jealous of you folks that get more than 50 Mbps.

DSL is just…miserable.

284 down, 50 up. But that’s a wireless laptop on a busy network. Sparklight 1 gig copper.

50 down 6 up per Oookla, 36 down 6.6 up per fast dot com. Plenty for me.
Comcast in a large apartment block.

Hey, I’m jealous of the ones that get 10.

From what I remember of DLS, I’m amazed you’re getting 50ish - on a good day, when the wind was right, we were lucky to approach 5.

54 down, 12 up.

Nah - I only get 13 or so…on a good day.

120 upload, 24 download, 11ms ping. Comcast, in suburban Chicago, on a wireless connection.

Officially 6 mbps down, 600kbps up. Tends to be a bit lower, though. Still, it’s usually good enough for two HD streams going at once, or three 720p streams.

BTW, how do you guys with the higher bandwidth deal with the fact that bandwidth caps don’t increase to match? I’ve done the calculations, and it seems that the main reason I would want better data–to download more stuff–runs into a wall fairly quickly.

Once you get into the higher speeds, looks like they’re less concerned with the amount donwloaded - we have unlimited data for $75/month at our speed plan (up to 50Mbps); a plan with a 250GB cap costs $70/month.
'Course, YMMV, depending on the provider, and country for that matter.

Download 33.40, upload 17.94.

You have my sympathy. I spent 10 years depending on DSL on a very dodgy copper phone line. Started as 4Mbps, by the end it was supposed to be 20, but I never saw better than 12. The move to gigabit fibre was a godsend.

It’d be helpful if folks could put in their location as well - you can also put it in your Preferences>Profile so it shows up anytime someone clicks on your icon.

I never approach the cap.

Despite living in the middle of nowhere, I am blessed to be a member of a relatively tech-savvy rural telephone cooperative (every customer is also a co-owner). Over several years, they upgraded every rural customer and all the small towns to being 100% fiberoptic. I currently have 100mbps down & 100mbps up, for $54 per month, with unlimited use/no cap. Customer service is great and they fix problems fast. They also provide cable TV service (via fiber) in the small towns.

I am similarly satisfied with my rural electric cooperative. One thing they do that particularly pleases me is that for every customer who specifies they prefer renewable energy sources, the cooperative switches over more of their power to come from solar or wind sources.

The largest “city” in the area has a population of 40,000 and they are stuck with contracts for AT&T phone service, ComCast cable, and Ameren power. The AT&T contract with the city prevents residents from joining the rural telephone cooperative. Their infrastructure rarely gets upgrades, they charge too much, and customer service is poor, etc. City residents have to get their internet through AT&T or ComCast, or they can pay the rural cooperative to run fiber to them, but they have to pay the “customer” rate, not the “member” rate.

On the other hand, I live in the outback far from food and water and decent Internet*. The best I could do was a Verizon jetpack with severe throttling after minimal usage. 0.40 download and 0.45 upload after throttling took effect. That is…slooowwww.

*Until today, when I was finally able to get Internet service activated from another provider: 60 download, 17 upload.

It was a real hassle up to now, researching and trying out various Internet solutions only to be thwarted. My closest neighbors have what apparently is pretty good Internet, but my house is apparently in some kind of a fiber dead zone. One neighbor told me that he’d heard that no new residents could get Internet from his provider because “the box is full”.

I have no idea what that means, but it’s now become a catchphrase around our house for when something goes wrong.

The box…is full. :frowning:

Possibly they did not anticipate the number of people who would want fiber service, and their infrastructure lacks capacity for connecting more fiber lines into the system. They need a bigger box. :grimacing:

Just now (around 11PM Monday): ping 46 download 1.09 upload .52

The cap on Sparklight (formerly Windstream) does increase with higher transfer rates. 1.5T on my plan. The next level is the business plan with the same transfer rates, but no cap at all. I don’t remember the price bump, but it also includes guaranteed service restoration in a very short amount of time.

PING 5 ms
DOWNLOAD 99.50 Mbps
UPLOAD 42.49 Mbps

On wifi, outside of Luzern, Switzerland.

Supposedly the best connection possible is:
Download: max. 350 Mbit/s
Upload: max. 80 Mbit/s

We’re both working from home and often use Teams and VPN. My husband runs Teams on his home computer for meetings and uses his work computer for being productive. I ended up using my phone as a hotspot for 2 days when the local internet went out. That was fun. At least I didn’t run into any data limit with my phone.