POLL: How was your vaccine reaction?

Hi there. I haven’t read of all the thread. Sorry.

I didn’t think I’d have any side effects because I am on an immunosuppressing drug that leaves my immune system pretty worthless.

After my first Moderna shot I had no reaction except for the mildest of injection site soreness (soreness seemed to me to be about what you’d feel if you stuck a needle in your arm without any vaccine).

So I was pretty surprised when a day after my second shot I got all the flu-like symptoms which lasted about 36 hours.

I also had a bit of a dry cough for a 4-8 hour (??) period during the 36 hours. I knew that dry cough is a symptom of COVID but I hadn’t heard of it being a vaccine side effect. I’ve asked Dr. Google and he didn’t say much.

Does anyone know anything about dry cough as a vaccine side effect?

Please refer to Med Page it is free to read but you must register and agree to a news latter.
The Physicians are vetted and they have peer reviewed info.

Once registered you may comment. Your answer was in a comment section about a month ago or so, in Covid section or an opinion piece.
I hope this helps you!

@I-Love-Me-Vel.

Great info in comment section also

This is the CDC handout on vaccine side effects.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/pdfs/321466-A_FS_What_Expect_COVID-19_Vax_Final_12.13.20.pdf

The following is from the Moderna web site:

Side effects that have been reported with the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine include:

• Injection site reactions: pain, tenderness and swelling of the lymph nodes in the same arm of the injection, swelling (hardness), and redness
  • General side effects: fatigue, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, chills, nausea and vomiting, and fever

Side effects that have been reported during post-authorization use of the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine include:

• Severe allergic reactions

These may not be all the possible side effects of the Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine. Serious and unexpected side effects may occur. The Moderna COVID‑19 Vaccine is still being studied in clinical trials.

So neither source states a cough as being a common side effect.

The first one hurt a bit all day at the injection site.

The second one hurt considerably more for three days, but was never any more serious than “ouch, okay I won’t lift this heavy thing over my head right now” or “maybe i don’t need to play guitar for more than 30 minutes every time I pick it up today”.

To answer your question yes!
VAERS
REPORT HERE:
https://vaers.hhs.gov/reportevent.html
ABOUT:
VAERS is co-sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), agencies of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

Thank you for that, Bippity. The reason I was asking about dry cough symptoms of Moderna vaccine is because I have searched a moderate amount for any mention of it and couldn’t find anything. I thought I’d ask if anyone here knew of any info.

It’s more curiosity than anything else because I know it’s a symptom of COVID but had never heard of it after the shot.

What question of mine is being answered?

I got the Pfizer. I didn’t have much of a reaction to the first one, just a slightly sore arm for a day or so. The night of the second one I couldn’t keep warm. I had chills, fatigue, headaches, and a sore throat for three or four days.

@Bippity Bopity Boo
I was answering I-Love-Me about her question.
Hey Boo, the love of my life’s name is Miss Bippity Boppity Boo! aka Miss Boo aka Lady Boo Lady. My fur baby and her sidekick Miss Lilly Bell aka she who must be served and worshiped 24/7

Plot twist: I got my second shot yesterday, from the same nurse, and it hurt 1/10th as much as the first one. She must’ve just gotten a bad angle the first time.

The Mrs and I got our second shot of the Pfizer on Saturday. She had a little soreness at the injection site the next day, but that was it. I had the soreness for a couple of days, but was useless on Sunday, ached everywhere, was just dragged out. How much of that was reaction to the vaccine, how much was due to moving 1-1/2 cords of green oak firewood Saturday afternoon I couldn’t tell you, but I know I couldn’t sleep on my left side nor lift my left arm above my head. By Sunday afternoon it was pretty well over with.

I just got my second dose of Pfizer two days ago so I’m updating my vote – first dose was:
-a lot of soreness at injection site
-a little tiredness and nausea the day of

second dose:
-a lot of soreness at injection site
-a little tiredness and nausea the day of and next day
-sore joints and general achey-ness 24 hours after but gone the next morning
-swollen and very painful lymph node under my arm on the injection side, started about 30 hrs after the second shot and has continued into today (50ish hours later). Not sure how long this will last…Ibuprofen helps a lot.

All things considered, no big deal! I’d rather have these side effects than Covid :wink:

I don’t know if I can revote.

I got my second shot. First was Astrazeneca, second was Pfizer. The second also gave me a sore shoulder but for a much shorter period of time. I talked to some friends yesterday, all but one had two doses (and one is getting theirs very soon). One had to bow out of the online event early because the second shot was making him tired.

I’m not surprised at the differences, as different people have slightly different immune systems.

To revote, click on Show Vote, then change/update your vote(s)

2nd shot of Pfizer this morning. 1st shot had a sore arm the lasted a few days but did not stop me from doing anything.

So far 7 hours later I can only tell which arm it is if I raise both arms in the air. Left is slightly tender.

How are you feeling now?

Arm a bit sore- not as bad as last time. No other side effects, and my energy level is actually quite high!

Very cool. :slight_smile:

I’m fascinated by how disperate everyone’s reactions are.

Glad yours was no worse!

I’m 33, male, generally good health.

Pfizer #1: mildly sore arm for a few days, but it didn’t stop me from doing anything. No other symptoms that I observed.

Pfizer #2: about 18 hours later, started feeling very tired and worn out in the middle of the day. I slept well and the next day (about 36 hours later) I felt fine, but realized mid-morning I had a persistent ringing in the ears.

I’ve always had a little bit of this in very, very quiet rooms, but never to the point where I’d notice it while doing other activities.

Now I’m at almost a week since #2 and the ringing hasn’t really gone away. I feel fine otherwise and really had no other symptoms to speak of, other than the approximately 12 hours of tiredness.

The sudden tinnitus could simply be a coincidence, or earwax or something, but I’ve seen a number of anecdotes from people online reporting the same (including on this forum). I’m going to see a doctor about it tomorrow.

Luckily it’s not loud enough to be more than a mild annoyance but I hope it goes away.