Poll: What's the parking situation at your workplace?

This grew out of a discussion I had off the Boards with another Doper about how s/he has to pay for parking permits at the two campuses where s/he works; and how I don’t have to pay at either of mine. So here are the questions:

1. Do you have to pay to park where you work? Do you pay the employer, or buy a ticket, use a meter, or other?
    (answered above)

2. Do you have a parking structure, an open lot, or other? Any reserved spaces besides handicapped?
    (all open lots, reserved space for college pres. and staff)

3. Do you use a company car?
    (n/a)

4. Do you need a permit to park there?
    (answered above)

5. Or is it all of this a moot point for you?

1. Yes. Company pays some of it - the rest comes out of our paycheck automatically. We get a parking access card.

2. Parking garage - several levels. Reserved spots for some local businesses and handicapped.

3. Nope.

4. Yes - unless you take a ticket and pay at the end of the day.

5. It is moot now that I take the train to work. :slight_smile:

no, open lot, no, no, probably. And I wish they’d plow the lot and clear the sidewalks. It’s a poor way to start the day trudging thru snow and trying not to fall down.

I’m at a college.

1. Parking is free for employees; students need to get permits.

2. Open lots, with certain lots reserved for faculty and staff.

3. No

4. You get a permit when you’re hired. It’s free.

5. Right now parking is a major issue; the number of spaces fill up quickly. One professor sent and e-mail of the vice president parking in a no parking zone. Since the VP has a space about 50 yards from where the car was parked, it created quite a stir.

1. Do you have to pay to park where you work? Do you pay the employer, or buy a ticket, use a meter, or other?

Parking in the street costs $2.20 for a 4 hours. It is meter parking and sometimes when my boss is feeling generous he pays for it.

2. Do you have a parking structure, an open lot, or other? Any reserved spaces besides handicapped?

There are 3 parking spaces in the office garage. There are 4 people working in the office so one of us misses out on a park - usually me. Thus when I have the choice I catch public transport to work.

No

There are special permits available from the local council so we can park in the street for free but they are hard to get.

It was a moot point as I decided to use public transport instead but as I get more pregnant I’d rather drive the car to work than stand on a tram for 30 minutes.

1. No.

2. One open employee lot - day shift. One security lot (behind fence and gate) night shift(s). One vistor / VIP lot that is mostly used by salespeople who don’t like to walk and who think they’re VIP’s. A few spaces marked for “Van Pool” - but they’re only for vans until 9:00 AM. One space reserved for the General Manager, but not at her request - it was a gift of her employees.

3. No

4. We have a basic permit system only for security purposes - new stickers once a year. Visitors have to place a tag on the dashboard while visiting.

5. N/A

… and no specific motorcycle parking areas.

**Yes. I work at a university. It’s $60 a year.

[quote]
**2. Do you have a parking structure, an open lot, or other? Any reserved spaces besides handicapped?[/quotw]**Open lots with handicap spots, reserved spots for the pres. and such.

**No.

**Yes.

Oops, someone fix my coding if they are passing through, please.

1. no, 2. an open lot (that we don’t own), but if I’m early and lucky I can get the college parking lot, 3. nope, 4. yes if I use the college lot, 5. if I were older and walking was a problem for me, yes.

The only complaint I have is that Niagara seems to be one of the windiest places on the planet. Even when it’s 20 degrees out, the wind chill is usually below -10!

1. Parking is non-existent, other than private garages far away charging $4/hour

2. Only private garages. Some underground, some aboveground.

3. nope

4. nope

5. Pretty much moot for everyone. One guy drives his motorcycle and parks it in the lobby, two bring their bicycles into the office, and everyone else (including the chairman, prez and VP) takes the train.

Pardon me, Leechbabe, as I steal your elegant HTML coding…

In our office of 60, I think about 35 of us park in the office parking lot as a paid benefit. These 35 were chosen by (1) management (2) people who drive a lot [e.g. salesmen] and (3) seniority. And, oh, (4) those who were slick enough to demand it when they interviewed for the job. That last one makes me a bit bitter, sometimes.

Open lot, valet parking. They do this to pack extra cars in. The folks with a window view of the parking lot claim that they’ve seen quite a few bumps between cars. And if you plan to go out for lunch, you have to tell them when you park your car in the morning, lest you go out and find it’s parked in 5 deep.

No

You betcha. Attached to hte mirror. Actually lost it once to a wicked gust of wind, and ever since then I’ve had it taped sideways to the mirror as well.

I used to take the bus semiregularly. Was a little surprised that I never heard complaints from the people who had no parking pass that my pass should be handed down to the next person.

I work in Midtown Manhattan, so it’s all moot. Most people take public transportation or walk to work. Some of the bigwigs have cars and drivers, but those guys don’t park. They just get dropped off and picked up.

My employer provides all employees with contract parking.

Our building has a six-story garage, with one floor for visitors and abouut 2/3 of the rest reserved. I park in an unreserved space, and oddly enough, my co-workers and I cluster together.

No, but we do have a pool car.

Supposedly, but I don’t have one. Come Monday we’ll have a new security policy in effect, with police officers at all the garage entrances, so I may need to come up with one.

• Do not have to pay

• Open lot. There are reserved spaces for senior military and officers/cpo’s (chief petty officers).

• We use company cars for driveable trips (4-5 hours and shorter), but not for our daily commutes.

• A base sticker is required to get on base and to the lot, so I guess you can consider that a permit.

Free parking - Open lot - which I have been taking for granted. I forgot what a nightmare it was parking downtown for other jobs.
We have visitor parking close to the building and a few spaces for a United Way contest we have every year. They draw for a different person for every month. I had one of the spaces for November… was nice being close to the building but harder then hell to get out when it was time to go home. Plus my car was in the shop for 2 weeks of that month :frowning: Like consolid8 mentioned - the snow is a problem - we will have to walk around big piles of it tomorrow - probably three times as far as normal.

Downtown Ft. Worth used to have a free parking lot open to everyone. That’s shut down, so we were given a private parking lot about a mile away from the office, and a bus service takes us in to the office. Our company also privates a lot and several garages that you can get a permit for based on pay levels.

“Our company also provides a lot…”

Not privates a lot.

RealityChuck, JoeyG, Duke: Are you faculty, classified, part time or full time, other, or decline to state/(It ain’t none of your beez, viva)? :slight_smile:

I wonder how many college faculty/staff have to pay for parking permits.

Thanks.

–v

Another University employee checking in…

*1. Do you have to pay to park where you work? Do you pay the employer, or buy a ticket, use a meter, or other?
Yes - $15 every two weeks by payroll deduction

*2. Do you have a parking structure, an open lot, or other? Any reserved spaces besides handicapped?
Surface lots - some restricted to Fac/Staff, some student, some completely reserved at additional cost. There a couple parking structures, with at least 2 more on the way. Currently I can park within 20 meters of the building entrance if I’m early enough (before 07:15). At worst, at the opposite end of my building, making for about a 100 meter walk.

It’s not going to be that good for long. Later this year the city and the state will begin construction on a flood control/traffic diversion project that will make most of the campus interior inaccessible by car. We are expecting more distant parking at a higher cost.

*3. Do you use a company car?
Not for my commute - university vehicle for the various errands that might come up during the day.

*4. Do you need a permit to park there?
Yes - mirror tag that I can transfer between any of my registered cars.

Nope

1. Do you have a parking structure, an open lot, or other? Any reserved spaces besides handicapped?

Open lot, some reserved spaces but not for employees of my company, I don’t think.

1. Do you use a company car?

Nope

1. Do you need a permit to park there?

Nope

1. Or is it all of this a moot point for you?

Nope, I appreciate my parking situation. I almost always can get a space within 10 yards or so of the door, in part due to my schedule (I start around the time most of the people who get in early go to lunch). At a past job I sometimes had to walk hundreds of yards to get from my parking space to the entrance.