Popcorn Ceiling Coming down

I noticed last night that I have a foot long tear in the popcorn ceiling in my family room. The popcorn seems to have been put over wallpaper or something. The family room was built in 79 so that meant the popcorn material probably contains asbestos. I’ve located a lab that tests for asbestos, and I have my handyman popping over tomorrow to poke around and make sure that there’s no structural damage under there. I warned my handyman to bring a mask in case there is asbestor.

I’ve looked all the popcorn ceiling mitigation and the best solution was to drywall over the ceiling regardless of asbestos or no asbestos.

So what kind of contractor do I hire to do drywall for just the ceiling?

actually, they’ll advise you to have someone scrape the stucco off the ceiling …anyone who does home repair/remodeling should have someone to do it …

I’ve done it myself with a spray bottle of water, a scraper, and a painter’s mask. Wiped it down and painted. It was messy but not too difficult. I can’t guarantee I won’t get cancer tomorrow but it’s been 20 years.

I have also removed the popcorn this way (1996 so no asbestos). It was fairly easy to do and not that messy and it resulted in a very paintable surface. However if the popcorn has been pained over that won’t work, and the best thing is to put another layer of sheetrock over it.

I really want to meet the person who invented the popcorn crap and ask them what the hell they were thinking.

Better acoustic qualities, for one. Sound doesn’t bounce and echo so much, which is appreciated in living spaces.

It also hides minor imperfections and construction flaws, so it was beloved by contractors and builders.

Which is why it is often only found in the den or living room (where the TV is).

… and in cough bedrooms.

My handy man came in today to consult what’s going on (thinking it’s just some popcorn texture falling down )and said, “It’s the whole ceiling, not just popcorn !” What it looks like is that the wall board was not installed up to code with the number of nails, and the texture has over time, been so heavy that it’s pulling down the wallboard.

Fortunately it doesn’t look like real popcorn texture, it look like joint compound spackled over the ceiling instead. I still have a sample ready to go to the lab to test for asbestos.

My insurace company is sending an inspector next week.

I’m packing up all my knick knacks and storing them this week end. It’s going to kill my back

wow sounds like someone had a shady builder/remodeler at some point …Wonder if they charged for putting up the real thing …

The family apparently did it themselves. I’ve lived in the house since 2000,and I have experience paying for correcting their DIY.

Built in 79 fair chance none of the “A” word stuff. 73 was the year they stopped making the stuff, but a builder could use what they had in stock.

Your insurance company is going to pay for deterioration due to bad construction?

I have no idea. But the assessor came today and he said it’s not water, and suggested that’s poor construction is what it looks like. I guess we won’t know until someone takes a panel of drywall down.

Shouldn’t they? They paid for my basement when poor construction (bad pipe soldering resulted in a massive leak in my basement.

If they don’t pay it’ll just be another shitty 2020 day.

I should have not given up praying the Rosary with the Facebook group.

It never hurts to ask!

I did some online research, falling ceilings is covered by standard home insurance and it’s not. I have no idea.

1. yes it’s covered in standard insurance (unless it’s specifially excluded–like it’s over 100 years old–actual case)
    2.Yes it is if it’s damaged by water, fire, or weather (not documented)
  2. No it’s not (UK)
    4.Probable, " You may be wondering if your insurance will cover repairing your ceiling before a collapse occurs. Although in most cases, homeowners insurance doesn’t apply to maintenance of the home, long-term structural damage that will imminently lead to collapse is covered under standard policies."

What the origin maybe is, “Homes built between 1960 and 1980 have a greater risk of suffering ceiling collapse because of how the ceiling drywall was installed. In place of reliable methods used in the past, contractors began to space ceiling joists further apart, which meant fewer fasteners to secure the drywall. Additionally, the fasteners used were smooth nails, which lacked the shear strength that the screws used today provide.”

Notably I have a sagging corner of the ceiling and I had someone to check on it. " [I had] a licensed professional inspect [my] home… Fixing a sagging ceiling will be easier, less expensive, and less risky to your loved ones than addressing a ceiling after its collapse." The ‘professional’ said “not a problem”

It is certainly worth getting insurance involved. I have inspected a number of claims that seemed unlikely to be a covered loss but turned out to have a cause included in the policy.

Absolutely get things tested for asbestos, it could go either way, there is no way to tell just by age. When I submit a sample for testing, the address must be included by law in this jurisdiction. You are likely committed to an abatement if results are positive. Asbestos related illnesses take decades to manifest, and are still the biggest cause of workplace related death due to workers exposed in the 70’s and 80’s.

I also have taken popcorn out myself; cover everything with plastic, REALLY well - spray the ceiling with some water - it comes right off.

We did a whole 4 br house in a day; there were a few places where someone had painted over it which meant a lot of spray - scrape - spray - scrape, but elsewhere it fell off in sheets.

The house really looks much nicer without that crap, and now whenever I walk into a house with popcorn there’s a little bit of me that wants to just start spraying…

Popcorn Ceiling Coming Down

I almost checked to see if Kris Kristofferson had rewritten his song.

I’ve seen ceiling collapses covered by homeowner’s insurance even if there was no proximate cause for it… it just fell down all on its own.

On the subject of asbestos, I’ve seen positive test results from drywall with mud and texture in homes built as recently as 1987, so it’s not impossible.

The above is from my experience in water damage mitigation over 13 years.