Popular Bands With Both Men AND Women

Doesn’t seem to be that common…

Of the ones I’m familiar with in this thread, most have no intra-band romance, and of the ones that do, half of them it did cause problems (Aqua, Mamas and the Papas), half it didn’t (ABBA, buriguri). And in the cases of both Aqua and TMatP, it was intra-band romantic TRIANGLES that caused problems.

the brilliant green began a five year haitus a year before Tomoko and Shunsaku got married, but the two are unrelated - Tomoko wanted to explore some solo stuff, and the band recently resurfaced - a couple singles have been released and an album’s supposed to be in the works.

And ABBA broke up around the same time that Anna-Frid and Benny broke up, but as far as I’m aware, they’re not particularly related (other than both being motivated by them drifting apart), and the band did survive Bjorn and Agnetha’s breakup several years before.

The Von Bondies has a couple of women in the lineup. They sing too, but not on every track.

GWAR and The Decemberists come to mind.

As do KMFDM and The Scissor Sisters, now that I’ve hit ‘submit’.

Big Brother and the Holding Company
Stone Ponies
Pentangle
Fairport Convention
Wings
Plastic Ono Band
Renaissance
Sly and the Family Stone

Sonic Youth
Southern Culture on the Skids
X
Dead Can Dance

Burning Brides
The Decemberists
Cranes
Broadcast
The Bird and The Bee

Actually, that wasn’t true. The New Bohemians were a very legit band in their own right. Edie Brickell was NOT one of their original members! They were founded as a folk-pop trio in Dallas by guitarist Eric Presswood, bassist Brad Houser and drummer Brandon Ely. They performed together for several years BEFORE Edie Brickell joined them. Even then, the band was called the New Bohemians- it wasn’t until they signed with Geffen Records that they were marketed as “Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians.”

The perception that they were just Edie Brickell’s employees led to some bad feelings, which was part of what led to her initial split from the band.

Cowboy Junkies
the Pogues

Rusted Root.

The Grateful Dead, at least for part of their carreer.

And the re-formed band that went by the Dead included Joan Osborne as a member during one tour.

There was a glam-rock /metal band in the late 80s or early 90s called Princess Pang fronted by a woman (Jeni Foster), but I think I may be the only person who owns that album, so I guess they weren’t popular by any definition.

In the 90s, you couldn’t throw a rock without hitting a female bassist in an alternative (otherwise male) band. This list has got to be huge.

How about female drummers in a mixed-sex band? That one’s a little tougher.

Velvet Underground
White Stripes
Quasi
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

and perhaps Cindy Blackman with Lenny Kravitz

Also, another interesting twist, you have a band like The Breeders: three females, with one male. Perhaps a more uncommon arrangement than the three-guys-and-a-chick-on-bass we’re used to seeing.

Norway’s Secret Garden. Damn good.

The Trans Siberian Orchestra has both male and female members.

Donny & Marie
Sonny & Cher
Bonnie & Delany
The Cowsills

Throwing Muses
Deeee-Lite
was Smashing Pumpkins mentioned yet? I only skimmed the posts, but didn’t see it stick out.
Belly
John and Mary

Can you tell I went to college in the early 90s?

I’d like to think that’s the first time that GWAR and the Decemberists have ever shared a sentence.

New Order
X-Ray Spex
The Corrs
Ash
Magic Numbers
Buck’s Fizz

Not one of my favorites, but:
Black Eyed Peas

If there is any justice in the world, The Brunettes will soon find themselves catapulted to a rightful super-stardom. Imagine a perfect combination of twee, bubblegummy doo-wop and punky, alternate rock. Wouldn’t have thought that was a match made in Heaven, but there it is.

Thompson Twins