Pork & Beans: What's the point?

There’s a great joke about pork & beans in the movie My Favorite Year. I’m laughing right now just remembering it. If you have not seen the movie, do yourself a favor. It’s a great flick overall, but worth it for that joke alone.

Ok. I am ready for it.

Put down the can. I have several distinct pork and beans recipes.

Maine baked beans with hot dogs/bacon/salt pork.

Pulled pork with mexican barbeque sauce and spicy black beans.

Grilled pork chops with Italian seasoning rub, and cannelini beans with onions and red peppers.

All very easy. Large portions with lots of left overs, and if you buy dried beans, there’s almost nothing cheaper in the supermarket.

I love the combination of pork and beans.

Where is that from? That’s what I always say - do I get it from somewhere?

Sounds more like a cop show from the '70s.

That is so disgustingly wrong that it made me laugh.

We use the recipe off of the back of the A-1 Brand Navy Beans. Replace 12 oz of whatever liquid they recommend with 12oz of a good malty beer.

Best beans recipe I’ve ever found. (They come via the Wife’s family)

Of course, I can’t find them online anywhere, but I’ll check when I get home if you can’t find that brand in your store.

My brother and I used to fight over who got that. Same way we fought over the maraschino cherries in the fruit cocktail.

Yeah, we were low-rent.

It’s from Ren and Stimpy during one of the “Ask Dr. Stupid” segments.

No, no, no. You have to watch the movie. It’s not a “tell” joke–it requires context.

What a tease, bragging about your recipes but not sharing them. Please, please, pretty please, share?

I love this movie – beautiful set-ups for everything that happens.
Hmm…I think it’s time for a mini Peter O’Toole film festival. My Favorite Year, The Stunt Man, and, oh, The Ruling Class, maybe.

What? This is a thread about pork ‘n’ beans?

Parrot!

Laugh Out Loud indeed.

The recipe for Maine Baked Beans from the back of the bag of STATE OF MAINE YELLOW EYE BEANS is the classic. Baked beans in Maine make every other New England state’s look like bellywash.

1 pound STATE OF MAINE yellow eye beans
1/4 salt pork
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
medium onion (optional, but I ALWAYS use it)

Soak beans overnight in cold water. In the morning parboil beans until the skins crack when blown upon. Quarter onion and put in bottom of bean pot. Add the parboiled beans. Cut through the rind of the salt pork and place on top of the beans. Mix the molasses, mustard, pepper and salt with a pint of the boiling bean cooking liquid. Pour this over…if necessary, add more boiling bean liquid to just cover. Bake at 300 for 6 hours or more, adding more hot liquid if beans get dry. Leave lid off for the last hour, so the liquid thickens into tasty gravy.

Write to the **Kennebec Bean Company of North Vassalboro, Maine 04962 ** for a catalogue. I always keep their Yellow Eyes, Soldier beans, and Jacob’s Cattle beans in my pantry.

The running joke/comment in our house was that there was always a singular pork, and many beans, hence the name Pork and Beans. If it was any different, it would be named Porks and Beans.

Like red beans and rice, it was a dish cooked mostly by poor people and slaves who had to make meat stretch far. (Thomas Jefferson’s slaves, for instance, received an average of about half a pound of pork per slave per month, but beans were plentiful.) The meat is more for flavoring than sustenance.

That said, mix liberal amounts of sliced barbecued or roasted pork butt, fried garlic, and various spicings into a thick 9 bean stew— ooh chile, put you a bowl on top yo haid and yo tongue gone beat a tunnel through yo brain git at that pottage, I gare-own-tee…

Okay, I’m clueless. 1/4 of what? And cut through the rind? Does that mean cut the rind off and chop, or…?

I’d like to teach myself (and family) to like beans. I have a texture problem with the mushy inside of the bean; it makes me gag. But I know they’re nutritious and a lot cheaper than meat as a main dish.