Portal Reloaded - free mod for Portal 2

Who’s played this free mod for Portal 2? It was released last year, exactly ten years to the day after the release of Portal 2. You can now shoot a third portal which lets you travel through time.

I’ve gotten to chamber 14 or so, which I believe to be around the halfway point. I don’t know how much longer I can go on. Thinking in four dimensions really, really hurts my brain.

Is it a full game?

Portal: Mel is an outstanding Portal game that is also free if you have the main game. It’s the closest to Portal 3 we’ll ever get, though only its puzzles were really good. The story and comedy was not as good.

…Couldn’t you have waited until Christmas break to post this? Or have posted it at the beginning of summer?

Ah, well, I’ll find time somehow. Maybe if I give up on that pesky “sleep” thing.

It takes a lot of chutzpah to try to improve one of the best games of all time.

But then, I welcome more reasons to play one of the best games of all time.

I think a mod like this, or at least Portal: Mel Stories, are more like new games than they are attempts to improve the main game.

There’s really no story as such, just a series of increasingly-difficult puzzles. The robotic voice that presents each test chamber still cracks some wry observations but they’re no GLaDOS or Wheatley. Of course, I haven’t completed the game so maybe the test subject will break out at some point.

OK, I had a day off yesterday (and today, too, obviously), so I tried it out. So far, I’m at chamber 19 or 20. The narrator AI did hint at some sort of big problem that you’re supposed to solve with the future, but so far, it’s just ominousness… No real clue what the problem is.

It’s a pleasantly frustrating game. So far, what I’m having the hardest time remembering is that placing portals in the present places them in the future, too, so if you want your portals in different places (you usually do), you have to make sure to place the future portals last. I keep on coming up with some elaborate plan to get all the wibbly-wobbly bits in the right place, only for everything to fall apart when I try it, because my plan involved moving some present-portal.

(aside: Firefox spellchecker recognizes “ominousness”, of all things)

OK, I just finished it. After the last test chamber, There’s an escape sequence, but it’s blindingly obviously telegraphed, and takes no real skill to see or execute, and once you escape, you take an elevator straight to the surface.

And frustratingly, there doesn’t seem to be any way to load any save other than the most recent one, so I can’t even go back to see what would have happened if I hadn’t done that.