Positive Gun News of the Day

What if there were 35 people with sniper rifles and explosives trying to get in? :rolleyes:

What if the guys had bullet-proof vests on, and then shot her after she shot them?

Running away is always safer then staying and trying to fight an unknown number of assailants armed with who knows what. Can’t believe you think otherwise. That’s strange to me.

Running away and leaving her three kids to deal with home invaders?

What if they had a pointed stick?

Look, man, as my previous participation in this thread will show I’m hardly a fan of the “shoot first, become an NRA spokesman later” approach some people here seem to advocate but on this one I gotta agree with Orwell - assuming the facts are as reported, she did this one by the book and was fully justified in defending herself with a gun.

And positing exaggerated hypotheticals doesn’t change that.

Running away is not always safer than staying in a sheltered place. Furthermore, without the benefit of hindsight it’s not always clear which course is the better one. And when you’ll be running with three kids, that makes it an even riskier venture. Can’t believe you think otherwise.

I agree this lady took the correct steps to avoid a confrontation. Yelling at the men through the door would have scared most people away.

These men were very determined to get in. No one knows what they planned to do.

The lady protected herself and her 3 kids. The article reports that she was a reluctant gun owner. That may have been the first time she ever fired a gun.

That’s not an ideal situation but it worked out in this case.

If you can’t visit her house, maybe at least find the floor plan to decide whether this is even feasible. Speaking for myself, I don’t even have a back door.

Don’t building codes say something about that?

The story itself mentioned the back door, and a garage. Several ways to get out of the house and run away.

And no, I don’t mean leaving the three kids, come on.

Unless in the unlikely event they wanted to kidnap the woman and three kids, in that situation, I would just yell “Take whatever you want, we are leaving”

Still seems safer.

I am not nor will ever be a gun owner. Although there are some positive uses of guns I happen think that they cause more trouble than they help. I have read about uses of guns in this thread that I would not agree are “positive.”

However. In this case, if I were that woman, I would have blasted a hole in that motherfucker as soon as he broke through my door. Yes, there were other doors and they were trying to get in those too. She wasn’t sure how many people were out there. If I tell someone I have a gun and they break in anyway, I’m not wasting time to determine their intentions or figure out what door is not covered so I can get three kids out.

Sure, but you weren’t that woman. You are someone who doesn’t own a gun. What would YOU do in that situation?

I’m sure if she knew some idjit was going to armchair quarterback her and post outrageous straw man arguments on a message board she would have reconsidered her actions.

Prison escapee forces his way into a woman’s house. Thankfully she was prepared to defend herself.

This is the worst nightmare for communities close to a prison. Escapes occasionally happen and it’s a dangerous situation.

This was a jail break instead of a prison.

This is like a double positive gun news story:

Cops shoot homeowner

First, the homeowner shot an intruder that was naked and inexplicably trying to drown a kid in the bathtub. THEN, the cops shot the homeowner because he didn’t put his gun down.

It’s win/win! Intruder killed, and a gun owner who doesn’t listen to police commands is killed. Awesome!

You’re not one one-thousandth as funny as you think you are.

I don’t think it’s funny at all. People getting shot shouldn’t be funny. Sorry if you think it is.

Moderator Action

I’m not sure if you are trolling or just being sarcastic and threadshitting. Either way, your post is the exact opposite of positive gun news, so let’s just call this an official warning for being a jerk.

The topic of this thread is positive gun news. Many of your recent posts are not on-topic for this thread. If you don’t like this thread’s topic, go elsewhere. There are plenty of anti-gun threads on the SDMB.

Do not post sarcastic comments and do not threadshit or in any other way attempt to derail the topic of this thread.

So in the pursuit of fighting ignorance, there’s an “echo chamber” thread where only biased reporting and facts favorable to prior assumptions are even allowed.

Moderating:

There is also a thread in the Pit called “Stupid Gun News of the Day.” Feel free to go to that thread if you don’t like this one.

There have been multiple posts with moderator instructions in this thread. I suggest you read them. If you have further questions about moderation either PM a mod or open a thread in ATMB. Further complaints in this thread about moderation will result in a warning.

A bit late to the party I admit, but how much coverage do you need of what is essentially a local story? Or do these three stories on the event by news agencies you cited above simply not meet your agenda?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/armed-bystander-shot-man-opened-fire-crowded-florida/story?id=57057661

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bystander-who-shot-gunman-at-fla-peace-rally-a-hero-police-say/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/08/07/bullets-flew-at-a-florida-peace-in-the-city-event-for-kids-an-armed-bystander-was-ready/?utm_term=.ef5cb9cee486

“Hero” homeowner fatally shoots escaped inmate who kicked in her door, sheriff says

Escaped convict breaks into woman’s home, arms himself, and advances on her. Presumably not to thank her for her hospitality.

I fully support law enforcement, but police are often minutes away when seconds count.

So I have been told.