Possible motives for Delonte West weapons charge?

Old news, I know but the recent Arenas story has rekindled my interest. Last year NBA player Delonte West was arrested on weapons charges: Cleveland Cavaliers guard Delonte West arrested on weapons charges - ESPN

For those who did not follow the link, Delonte was pulled over on his motorcylce at 10 pm for reckless driving and was found to be carrying two pistols and a shotgun in a guitar case.

My question is: What could he *possibly *have been doing? I realise the guy suffers from bipolar disorder but even so, this situation seems bizarre.

I struggle to think of any motive that doesn’t sound like it came out of an action movie, such as infiltrating a nightspot favoured by a rival gang, disguised as the night’s entertainment.

This seems so strange that the most likely explanation I can come up with is out of Hunter S Thompson. Perhaps while feeling manic / depressed Delonte decided to let off some steam by shooting at a hillside in the dark (a la Hunter S). As he lived in a built up area he decided to ride his motorcycle to a less inhabited location. Spotting his guitar case he thought it would be fun to pretend to be a cowboy or gangster, which also inspired him to ride recklessly, leading to his arrest.

Reading the above I realise it’s a bit worrying how much thought I have put into this. Even more worrying is the fact that the above thought process sounds like something I would actually come up with! (Though I think I’d have the sense not to act on it :p)

So what do you all think of my version of events? Can anyone else suggest a more plausible explanation?

He also had an 8.5 inch long knife, and over 100 shotgun shells. Whatever his motivation was, it can’t have been good.

Since the OP probably has no factual answer, at least to anyone other than West, let’s move this from GQ to IMHO.

samclem, Moderator, General Questions

I’m not sure why you discount his bipolar disorder so easily. Basketball players are often the victims of robberies and other nonsense from people trying to make a quick buck or a name for themselves. For that reason, they often carry guns. Couple this with his mental issues and that leads to Antonio Banderas type weapons caches.