Post-BRexit fallout and happenings

Maybe more of those fed up Millennials should have bothered to vote and worked to get their friends to vote.

Simple fact: “turnout in areas with a higher proportion of younger residents tended to be lower.”

It’s a pretty amazing side by side map of lower turnout matching up with higher numbers of younger voters.

This result mattered to them and indeed will be of major impact to them for many decades to come. But they still did not vote in large numbers and let the older voters decide for them. And then are complaining about how those other voters voted?

Maybe the millennial who wrote that quote did vote? You’re also forgetting about the demographics of the UK. The young are outnumbered and certainly a lot of them have every right to be bitter about this decision being imposed on them by those over 50.

population pyramid.

Agreed. There will likely be pain and angst along the way, one BOTH sides of their borders, but Britain will prevail.

Failure to relinquish self-determination has not seemed to injure either Norway or Switzerland in the least.

Incidentally, does anyone but me detect the stale aroma of 1934 lingering? Those who fail to remember history…

Britain will not prevail because the UK without Scotland is no longer Britain. How do you think you’re going to forcibly keep Scotland against their overwhelming support for remaining in the EU?

“the Scottish government was to begin preparing legislation to enable another independence vote”. As has been pointed out with the greens support they have enough votes to get this through.

You do not consider over a third to be a significant minority? Indeed, in most places in Scotland, the Leave vote was over 40% - the Orkneys and the Central Belt being well under 40% to pull the average down.

Why are people presuming that those in Scotland who voted remain will necessarily transfer seamlessly to the Yes vote in an IndyRef II?

Why wouldn’t they? A sovereign Scotland as part of the EU has more self determination than Scotland currently has. The yes vote for IndyRef II might not be 62% but it will be higher than the last one, thats for sure.

While I have a generalized approbation of decentralization, I watched the Brexit debates with the passive intrest of somebody without a dog in the fight. But it’s positively entertaining to watch left wing Puritans flap about in impotent rage.

Similarly, I don’t support Trump and won’t vote for him, but it will be fun to watch the left eat their livers if he wins.

And by that you mean “the majority of people under 50” who voted to remain. It’s not a done deal so the rage is not impotent. Parliament decides, this referendum was not legally binding.

some people seem to think that the actual leaving might not happen as some commentators are saying it might be a year or two before article 50 is formally activated

and if the politica/sociall winds change the whole thing might quietly fade away .

Let’s just say that if you were living here you would note that the reaction to effectively having been over ruled by an English vote that goes against the direct promise given in the Indy referendum is rather angry. One of the main points made by the pro union side was that if Scotland left the UK they’d probably lose EU membership. There’s a lot of pissed off people here just now

And the SNP don’t need much of a swing. 6% is all it takes. Out of the 62% who voted to remain in the EU that’s not much of a stretch

That’ll sure show those “leave” voters not to consider the EU undemocratic.

Don’t even need that, with the support of the Scottish Greens they enough of a majority in parliament to push a new referendum through.

And to Waymore: no one knows the actual conditions on which the UK leaves the EU. When those conditions and their impacts on the UK economy are actually known, the majority might want to stay. Why should they be bound by a two year old referendum that was only won by 2% ?

Wishful thinking. We’ll have a Brexit PM soon, probably Johnson. Once article 50 is submitted there is no way back, even if it does take 2 years to implement.

Democracy perhaps? It’s infantile to hold a duly administered referendum invalid simply because your side lost.

The Scottish Parliament is not competent to enact legislation authorizing another referendum, so all it can do is ask Westminster to pretty-please hold another one. Sturgeon bloviated about holding one without Westminster’s involvement, but that would be illegal and revolutionary. Sometimes illegal and revolutionary things happen, of course, but Scotland doesn’t necessarily have a clear path to EU membership under a legal split, so adding questions about that will just make accession even harder.

The UK is not a direct democracy and this was not a legally binding referendum. It’s perfectly valid for those that want to remain and those that have changed their minds to petition their local MP’s not to vote to leave, thats the way the system works.

And no there is nothing to say that once Article 50 is invoked it’s irreversible, the UK can change it’s mind during the two year period, stop spreading bad information Aldiboroniti.

I had hoped for a different outcome of the referendum and I believe the result will hurt both Britain and the EU. Then again, the world will not end for either of them. Britain will not go down in flames and the EU will not fall apart.

Here is what I think will happen:
[ul]
[li]London *will *invoke Article 50. At this point this is only a question of when, not if. Any attempt to backpedal now would be political suicide, and no none is going to do it.[/li][li]Scotland will ask for and get another referendum to leave the UK. It is a very real possibility that they will leave this time - but it is by no means a done deal.[/li][li]The EU will declare their awareness of the need to reform, but the 27 remaining member states will have a hard time agreeing on actual reforms. Nothing much will change. Possibly a subset of EU members will agree to take integration further without waiting for the rest.[/li][li]The British economy will see a dip. It is not going to be disastrous but noticeable. As always the people who are going to feel it most are the ones in the lower income bracket.[/li][li]Britain will attempt to establish trade agreements with the EU in order to soften the blow on their economy. Ironically this will mean that the majority of the much reviled EU-regulations will remain applicable to Britain.[/li][li]England will not win the Euro 2016 championship. (Not making any predictions for Wales.)[/li][/ul]

I feel bad for the younger generation of Britons who saw their future within the EU and who have now been kicked out by their grandparents. Then again this goes to show once more that if you have the good fortune of living in a democracy you should get off your ass and bloody vote.

I’ve posted elsewhere that the young are out numbered, the UK population pyramid has more over 50’s because of the baby boomers. This isn’t done yet and expect the younger crowd to fight it to the bitter end.