Post-fire jitters

Please forgive me if I ramble. When I get really anxious, I feel the need to just type it out / communicate it, and it’s late enough at night that calling folks would be a little uncool.

As I pulled into my driveway tonight, I saw entire shattered window panes in the dumpster. Then I saw the boarded-up windows on the second floor. I came in… And smelled smoke.
There was a fire in my building while I was out. My top-floor neighbor, bless her soul, went out and bought -everyone- new smoke detector batteries and put a note on my door telling me to come up and get details of what happened. The woman whose apartment it was was rushed to the hospital, but no one was specifically hurt. Their apartment is apparently char now. I haven’t seen any damage at my place, but tomorrow morning I’ll take a fine-toothed comb to it.
The woman in question was on oxygen, and I saw a cigarette butt by her door. I also know that, right before I left this afternoon, I heard what sounded like an argument going on in her place. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything. I’m too ramped up right now to know. Everything reeks of smoke and my hands are shaking.

Don’t think it was particularly mundane, to me it wasn’t pointless, but I did need to share. :frowning:

Ouch, my sympathies. Good thing no one was killed and your apartment was spared. Just try to keep in mind that your apartment is still there and hopefully you can calm down some.

How frightening! Many years ago when we lived in an apartment building, the next-door apartment burned in the middle of the night - thank goodness for cinder-block walls - and that was apparently due to cigarettes in bed or something like that. Glad to hear no one’s really hurt and that (hopefully) your place is OK.

I hope you were able to get some rest. Anxiety is no fun at all.