Potato starch =? potato starch flour

This is wildly available at my local natural food store. For recipe purposes, is it the same as “potato starch”?

Accoding to Penguin Companion Food (otherwise known as the "Oxford Companion to Food [Hardback version]) the two products are **not ** the same:

Potato Flour - cooking, drying and grinding potatoes results in potato flour. This can be used as a substitute for potatoes or directly in potato based breads.

Potato Starch - made by extracting the starch using a washing process, which is used as a thickener.

Well, dammit. That teaches me to ignore Google.

From here, I get

However, this contradicts that, saying that potato starch is

[/QUOTE]
Also known as potato starch flour, this is another must for gluten-free pantries. NOT the same as potato flour.
[/quote]

I get

from here, so maybe there’s a trend?

Right, but this is “Potato Starch Flour”.

Semantics aside, they are two separate products as the processes are different.

Don’t know what else that can be stated.

Whether anything else can be stated or not, you appear to remain incorrect.

Potato starch is identical to potato starch flour (which is what the OP asked), but is not the same as potato flour.

According to this, this, this, this, and this.

I can’t find a single link that states that potato starch and potato starch flour are different products. On the other hand, neither of them are the same as potato flour, and other than that mistaken Cook’s Thesaurus link that chaoticdonkey found, I can’t find a single site claiming that they are the same.

My response was to the mistaken Cook’s Thesaurus link and I was merely trying to point out that “potato starch” and “potato flour” are two different products.

I do note that similar confusion exists with other agricultural products as I found reference to “wheat starch flour”, which is supposedly different than “wheat flour”. At this point the addition of the word “flour” to the processed starch component descriptions must have some other meaning besides the conventional definition of “flour” (perhaps to the degree of fineness used in milling the particular product?)