Pouring of Wine into the river- Anti-French sentiments

Poodles come from Germany, darn it!

And I plan to forget all that French I took in high school. That’ll show em!

I have stopped using my French Tickler on my wife. She now hates France.

Pouring French wine into a river is just going to result in a whole bunch of snotty, inebriated fish.

And it’s ecologically unsound.

Far as I can tell, this appears to be the only “organized” wastage.

And in Atlanta, too. sigh I suppose I should have expected it, what with Sonny Perdue getting elected by promising to have a referendum for the rebel flag “issue”.

I think we should stop importing fries and toast from France and just rename beaujolais “Freedom Wine.”

Aside from everything else that’s illogical, immature, and needlessly inflammatory about this nonsense, the use of the word “traitor” here really bugs me. France has disagreed with the United States on a point of international law and diplomacy, in the correct forum for doing so and by means which are entirely within their rights under the rules of that forum. How the hell is the use of the word “traitor” in this context anything more than sheer unthinking bullshit, if not an outright lie?

Aside from the French has there been any other backlash against other countries not on side with the US that any one knows of?

Couldn’t they find a river without HOOCH in its name (Chattahoochee)? Damn, some people.

I haven’t seen too many people driving their BMWs and Audis into the Chattahoochee, but I’ll keep an eye out.

Actually, I thought the French colors were blue, white, and red. Not red, white, and blue.

Also, France appears to be backing down a bit on the diplomatic front. It has agreed to allow the US to fly over its air-space for missions against Iraq, and has said that if Iraq uses any WMDs against the coalition, France will change its mind about its stance.

By whom?

Cap'n Wacky's Boatload of Fun :smiley:

Bleu, blanc, rouge is correct. But really, I don’t think anyone’s gonna look at the poodle and think it’s a pepsi ad.

As for the flyovers and post-agression aid, I think that’s pretty consistent with Chirac’s position. His opposition has been to the premature use of force, because the disarmament campaign was working. If proved wrong by the actual deployment of chemical weapons, it will be the first solid proof that Powell wasn’t actually showing a photo of a bakery at the UN.

[Orbifold blinks, and notices there’s no link in the OP…]

Hmm…well, let me just check Google News here, see if I can find a quote…

[surf surf surf]

Well that’ll learn me…I can find several stories about this, but no stories where anyone uses the word “traitor”. Jackmannii, you raise an excellent point. I had assumed that that was a quote from the news piece mentioned in the OP.

Hey Epimetheus, where’d the word “traitor” come into this? Did someone actually say that in the news piece you saw? If the answer is “yes”, then the answer to your question, Jackmannii, is “by whomever stated that as a rationale for dumping the wine”. But if the answer is no, then I guess I’ll just have to fall back on the other reasons this is so freakin’ ridiculous.

That’s what I was wondering, Orbifold. I wouldn’t entirely put it past some airhead to escalate his resentment of France into labelling les Francais as “traitors”, but I haven’t seen any definitive evidence of this.

Regardless, we are dealing with a relatively few dingbats and publicity seekers here.

Does painting stripes on a clipped French poodle make it any more ridiculous-looking?

Obviously, stories like the one in the OP are silly, but it’s even sillier to pay such folk any attention. In many cases, such events are staged for “zany” morning radio DJs and the like, people who’ll stoop to anything, however ridiculous, to get some listeners or some media exposure.

I know, because this past week, we had some local DJs trying to get people to bring in Pretenders CD’s for smashing. They had to give up the idea, because nobody showed up!

Now I have little use for Chrissie Hynde as a musician or a person, but if I liked the Pretenders and I had a few of their CDs… what would I accomplish by destroying them? Chrissie Hynde would already have my money, so it wouldn’t cost HER a dang thing!

“Tour de France will now be known as Lance Armstrong’s Annual Kick Europe’s Ass-o-Rama”

Well, that’s actually true. :slight_smile:

And I laughed out loud at the idea of people driving their Audis into the river. That should be a hoot. Ship more Audis over, we’ll drown them all. :smiley:

This reminds me of the morons who were smashing Cat Stevens records back in the 70s.

Sorry Orbifold, the Fox news story is where I got the info. No link because I was lazy and didn’t look it up.

It wasn’t FOX that called them traitors, but the people that were doing the wine pouring.