PPE Mask for singers -- solo & choirs

I’m posting this here because it has to do with music. :notes: :musical_note: One of the hardest things about lockdown is the suspension of choir singing.

A group of Broadway costume designers has created a mask that singers can use (together with other protocols) to mitigate COVID transmission. The sturdy wire frame can be shaped to conform very closely to one’s face. Details, including a video, at the site:

The Singer’s Mask was developed on Broadway for singers to capture droplets while singing and provide comfort and ease of motion while singing.
:black_medium_small_square:Three layers (2 cotton/1 interface) to capture droplets
:black_medium_small_square: Internal structure keeps fabric away from mouth while singing.
:black_medium_small_square: Adjustable ear loops (or ties).
:black_medium_small_square: Adjustable nose bridge

Broadway Relief Project , is a coalition of Broadway designers and stitchers that normally build costumes for Broadway hit musicals. Headquartered in Times Square at Open Jar Studios, this team was enlisted and approved by the City of New York and the NYC/EDC to be part of their team creating over 2 million medical gowns for NYC public hospitals. We manufacture both reusable/washable gowns (Level 1 & 2) and disposable gowns (Level 1, 2 & 4) in New York City.

If you’re in a singing group, check it out. Members of my Sunday choir are ordering them. They’re about $23 each or a little less if ordered in bulk. In-person services have still not resumed. A few choir members are meeting at practice time to record music to be played on Sunday.

I’m considering splurging for one of these. I really like how it leaves room around your mouth and nose but still seals around the edges.