Prankster Doesn't See What Was Wrong with His Prank

I was idly reading some back columns of Dear Annie today and came across this gem. My hackles rose at the word “prank” because I’ve always thought pranks were rather mean-spirited, but holy crows, does this guy take the cake.

Briefly, the letter writer pulled a “prank” on a co-worker that I think should have gotten him arrested and perhaps beaten to a pulp. While the co-worker was on vacation, the prankster “put” his house up for sale, including an ad in the paper, yard signs, and banners and gave out his co-worker’s cellphone number so interested buyers could call while he and his family were on their trip. The poor guy got hundreds of calls, and the prankster doesn’t understand why 1) Everyone is mad at him 2) Co-worker got two good offers on his house, so what’s the big deal and 3) Co-worker shouldn’t have spend his hard-earned money on a vacation anyway.

Talk about clueless. I think even Dear Annie was gobsmacked.

This wasn’t a prank, but a crime. The jerk belongs in jail.

Something about that Dear Annie column raises my suspicions that the letter is fake. It’s just too over the top.

That could be too. But there are clueless people in the world. I feel sorry for his wife.

In a world in which people’s houses have been sold without their knowing about it, finding a for sale sign on your front lawn is not in any way funny

The first show of the third season of “The Adventures of Pete & Pete” involved the kids selling their house (while the parents were away) to a couple. The wife was played by Patty Hearst.

But the co-worker should be pounded into a photon. And then fired.

I agree.

In Episode 1 Season 1 of Joe Pera Talks With You, Joe Pera attempts to show you Iron, but he’s interrupted by a family wanting to view his house for sale. Turns out the neighborhood kids put someone else’s For Sale sign in his yard, as a prank. But it worked out because the actual house for sale looks just like Joe’s and the family bought it and now they’re some of Joe’s best friends.

Into the sun.

You’re being a Stiffly Stifferson.

I love pranking Stiffly Stiffersons with my tire iron.

I think so too. The clincher is the pranker claiming that the prankee “got two good offers”. How would he know? Seems unlikely that the homeowner would tell this clown what people were offering, and even if he did, what is a “good offer” on a house that is not for sale at any price?

Not to mention: Who makes an offer on a house they haven’t seen the inside of?

When we put up our family home for sale, we got two offers before we set up a viewing by appointment only.

When we put up our family home for sale, we got two offers through the realtor before we set up a viewing by appointment only.

So, that’s four offers in total? :smiley:

Reminds me of Kathy Rowe.

I worked in 26 years in real estate and yes, this is an illegal act and should be prosecuted,

I’ve seen that happen when what someone wanted was the land.

We live in a neighborhood that everyone seems to want to live in: small 1920s-but-updated homes, next to a park on a lake, within a short walk to good schools, tons of shops and a college.

Our neighbors bought their house by driving down our street every night. One evening they caught a glimpse of a piece of scrap paper thumbtacked to a door: “Willing to sell, call Ralph (555) 555-5555” They pulled over, called and told him they’d take the house.

That was ten years ago. If Ralph hadn’t had title to the house, they would’ve noticed by now…

I made an offer and actually bought my condo before seeing it…my real estate agent checked it out and said it was a great price so I went for it. A lot of people seem shocked that someone would do that, but it all worked out okay (except the [previous owner left a big mess, but that would have happened anyway).