Pregnancys among servicewoman during the first Gulf War.

I keep hearing on Right Wing Talk Radio that the rate of pregnancies among servicewoman skyrocketed just before and during the first Gulf War. It is speculated that the reason was because the servicewoman were seeking to avoid being sent overseas. Any truth to this?

I’m sure if you looked at the rate of pregnancies among the wives/girlfriends of male servicemen you would see similar results. I know if I was going off to war in a few weeks I would want to leave my honey with a night or two to remember.

A big to-do was made about pregnant service women during the Gulf War, but in reality, in any group of people that size you’re going to have a few pregnancies at any given time. Even with birth control, you’ll still have some. A big to-do was made about women who were discovered to be pregnant a month or two after deployment, but a lot of folks doing the yelling seemed to have completely forgotten (if they ever knew) that pregnancy has few symptoms in the first month or two and they women simply didn’t know they were pregnant until some time had passed - no ulterior motives required.

From Gulf War I and the Balkan operations there have been numerous suggestions of this. But as Little Bird pointed out, it’s apparently more a question of the pregnant member of a given couple being the one on deployment, or comrades already out on deployment engaging in, um, “night maneouvers” w/o the proper protective gear, than any sort of in-extremis version of a “blue flu”.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/06/15/reviews/military-gulf.html

Notice: a perception. Like I said, it would be a pretty damn extreme way out, and conversely there are any number of military women who, upon being taken off flight duty or other such billet due to preganancy or motherhood, actually fight to be somehow accommodated back into their units. Another element to consider is the high proportion of reservists in today’s frontline force, who may not have even a whole month’s warning of mobilization.