President Barack Obama is a shameful hypocrite.

Heck, he was better than any of the others that the Democrats put up. (But I’ll still back Hillary in 2016 if she runs.)

I think that Hillary was a better candidate, and would have done a better job. But on that day in November, I voted for Obama, because he was better than the alternative. Talk about damning with faint praise…

With great enthusiasm, with reckless abandon, in my birthday suit, while riding a horse backward or in any other way necessary to ensure he serves a second term. He’s an intelligent guy and, since he had no hope of reforming it under rampant congressional obstructionism, he has learned to work within the system created by GW Bush and the Cheney-bot. You can hardly fault the guy for using the system they created for evil to do as much good as he can during his term.

This is not factual. The hypocrisy is found in making an accusation of hypocricy based on lies.

The things Obama does that I do not like (or does not do that I would like him to) are things that the Republicans would do (or not do) to a much greater degree. And there are a number of things he does that I do like that the Republicans would not do or would actively do the opposite. So Obama it is.

I don’t automatically dismiss anyone with an ® next to his or her name but man, the party is being taken over by crazies these days. I’m just waiting for the pendulum to swing back.

It’s going to swing back, right? Right?

I doubt it. People have been telling me the pendulum would start swinging back any time now for my entire adult life, and it hasn’t. American politics are a ratchet, not a pendulum; they only go Right.

So, the administration both encourages leaking sensitive information, AND encourages the Senate to vigorously investigate leaks.

Did someone propose this by saying “I have a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it!”

I second this (or third or whatever) with the caveat that while he may not be better than *any *Republicans, he’s certainly better than any who are plausible contenders now or in the previous election.

Nobody’s perfect.

Valerie Plame

Because on the substance of his policy proposals I agree with him more than I agree with Romney and the GOP.

I’m not convinced the recent leaks are deliberate. For the record, I’m not thrilled about the death list in and of itself, but I haven’t heard anything from Romney about how he’d stop such activities if he were president so I don’t see what difference it makes.

Whistleblowers aren’t all great people. Some are idiots who leak sensitive info for no reason. The leaks that “glorify” Obama haven’t been established to have been leaked on purpose.

So, to sum up, why is your ass so inflamed?

Thing is, you put any Republican into the Presidency and you’re handing power to the whole party, most especially the lunatic ones who are presently in charge. So even if I actually liked the Republican candidate* I still couldn’t support voting for him, because of the baggage he’ll be bringing along with him.

*Not that I’ve ever actually liked any political candidate that I can think of

Yep, pretty much this. The leaks look like they could have been an orchestrated act, but it’s unclear that they were, and it’s unclear that they are actually helping Obama. We’re just beginning to see the news analysis of the drone wars, and I’m hearing a lot of Democrats voicing disapproval of the idea. And, yeah, I think Romney will continue the program if he is elected.

Will, we know that you are an ardent supporter of Ron Paul and yet that man also has some very serious character flaws. How could you endorse a man for office who allowed his name to be attached to theracist Ron Paul newsletter? Either Ron Paul endorsed those views or was incredibly negligent in providing oversight – neither of which are acceptable Presidential qualities.

Yet you are able to overlook these qualities in Ron Paul because you see other qualities in the man that you feel make him a superior candidate. You’re never going to like everything that a President does because politics is a very nasty milieu. All you can do is pick the candidate who will do the best job.

Do I agree with everything Obama does? Not even close. But compared with Romney? It’s a pretty easy call.

Yep. In fact I have voted for a Republican president in the past. Obama turned out not to be the man I hoped he would be (in hindsight, I think Hillary would have been a better choice). But the current crop of GOP candidates are just too full of the crazy lunatic woowoo to even consider.

On top of that, the stuff you bring up in the OP brings out the “meh” in me.

Not even you believe that bullshit.

In addition to all the points already made (only option is batshit Rs, leaks not proven intentional, using the powers GWB set up, WillFarnaby’s half-baked ranting)…

The big difference to me is that Obama is using/abusing Secrecy/Extralegality for generally good results, whereas GWB was using it for disgusting shit. Obama’s secrecy would cover up things like pinpoint hits on terrorists, killing bin Laden, and ratfucking Iran’s nukes. GWB’s covered things like lying to invade the wrong country on a whim, legalizing torture (link), politicizing the justice dept, leaking the name of an American agent for a personal grudge, mass round ups for indefinite imprisonment (with many handed over by tribes in Afgn. without evidence), and on and on.

To give GWB some credit, it seems the Stuxnet operation started under his watch. Is that better or worse, Will?

Because voting for one of the republicans would fucking kill me.