President Obama's Mouth

I could be wrong, but ISTM that President Obama has a habit of making poorly thought out, off-the-cuff public remarks about matters, without enough consideration of the situation and the import of his words.

One example is much in the news of late, that being his initial response to the Trayvon Martin shooting. Another was his initial reponse to the Gates/Crowley incident.

But two other instances reported in the past few months are possibly of greater import.

From the NY Times

And this:

Is my impression incorrect? These are just incidencts that spring to mind offhand - I’ve not made an exhaustive search about this - but when I see a remark from Obama that seems off the cuff without consideration of the facts or import it kind of feels like a rerun. Maybe not.

Let me guess: you were reading Roger L. Simon, weren’t you?

Is this what you wanted to debate? Or part of it?

I was not reading Roger L. Simon (nor have I recall having ever heard of such a person).

Please don’t read anything into my words beyond what’s actually there.

Okay. I just found the timing interesting, and wondered if the quoted op-ed had inspired you.

The timing is not a complete coincidence. A good percentage of the stories about this very-much-in-the-news incident mention the president’s words, which certainly helps bring the issue to mind.

But I devoted the bulk of the OP to quotes from two other stories, one of which ran 2 days ago, and the other a couple of months ago.

I could be wrong, but ISTM that SDMB poster Fotheringay-Phipps has a habit of making poorly thought out, off-the-cuff public remarks about matters, without enough consideration of the situation and the import of his words.

One example is this thread.

Is my impression incorrect? This is just one incident that sprang to mind offhand - I’ve not made an exhaustive search about this - but when I see a remark from Fotheringay-Phipps that seems off the cuff without consideration of the facts or import it kind of feels like a rerun. Maybe not.

Let’s make sure this man is never elected President again!

I could be wrong, but ISTM that President <insert name here> has a habit of making poorly thought out, off-the-cuff public remarks about matters, without enough consideration of the situation and the import of his words.

To answer the OP, the President is going to say a lot of things. There will always be multiple ways to interpret what he says. Some people will choose to interpret his remarks in the worst possible way and imagine the greatest harm will result.

Can you list some comparable examples with other presidents?

[Note: there’s a difference between things that you disagree with or think to be stupid or which in retrospect turn out to be mistakes, and things that are just not thought out at the time.]

It seems to me that whenever someone has his every utterance recorded and analyzed by thousands of people that you’re going to find lots of gaffes.

But the president should know not to comment about any ongoing criminal investigation. I know it’s hard because you want SO BADLY to say SOMETHING. And if you don’t, you know there will be outcry that you DIDN’T say anything. Fortunately, you know that you will lead a fabulously wealthy lifestyle when you’re done with that rat race thing of the presidency, so there’s that!

I think Obama considers his words carefully but often is surprised, like many sane people are, of the extreme depth of hatred manifested in conservative circles against him. It is perfectly fine to say the things he said. It is not fine to react to everything he said like its the end of the world

For some reason, people seem to be focusing exclusively on the Trayvon Martin case. (The Gates/Crowley incident is also comparable.)

But I listed two recent incidents where US foreign and judicial policy are being directly impacted by off-the-cuff remarks. (Neither of these are particularly ideological in nature.)

Were you asleep during Junior Bush’s two terms?

Practically everything Reagan ever said in public, and practically anything W ever said period.

We begin bombing in five minutes.

Considering the stakes involved and the geo-political situation at the time, this was not only more stupid than anything Obama has said while President, it was more stupid than the sum of all stupid things Obama has said in his life including as a toddler.

In general I agree that considering the vast number of things a President has to speak about and the numerous ways something can come out wrong it’s inevitable that there there will be a few gaffes. On the whole Obama seems more careful than most.

Completely different. That was meant as a joke, and said by Reagan when he thought the mikes were not turned on. We’re talking here about things said in earnest, and deliberately in public.

Also, it was not addressed to the public altogether, per the linked Wiki article, but was a leaked private remark.

How about “Mission Accomplished!”? That was a good one. Or, 'heck of a job, Brownie"? Or, “I’m sure the people of Poland don’t consider themselves under the yoke of the Soviet Union”?

These are exactly the types of things I was thinking of when I excluded “things that you disagree with or think to be stupid or which in retrospect turn out to be mistakes”. (Also: “bring it on”)

I don’t think these are the same things at all.