Price is Right - model's mistake results in free car to contestant.

I didn’t see the show, but potentially another contestant could have been adversely affected. The contestant goes into the round to spin the wheel for a chance to win the showcase. It’s possible that she got a better placement in the order due to her winning that car, even though she didn’t. So perhaps someone had to either spin first or second when he/she could have spun second or third but for the model’s error. So possibly someone got screwed out of a chance for the showcase.

They couldn’t give an Oscar to the TV version, so they had to settle. However, the other nominees were Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, Mister Roberts, Picnic, and The Rose Tattoo, so you are right about the quality.

Actually, it was a great year for movies: Night of the Hunter, The Man from Laramie, All That Heaven Allows, Rebel Without a Cause, Kiss Me Deadly, East of Eden, and foreign classics like **Ordet, Smiles of a Summer Night, Pather Panchali, ** and Diabolique. You can blame the Oscars for giving them collectively virtually zero love.

I haven’t seen TPIR since I was a teenager. Is it my imagination, or have the models gotten waaaay sexier in the past couple of decades? That was some dress she was wearing. Great googily moogily.

Anyway, fun clip, and I agree that neither the show nor Hyundai is too broken up about this little mishap.

The full text is usually closer to “Portions of this program not affecting the outcome may have been edited.” which means if Drew’s mic went dead while chatting with the contestant, they can stop tape, fix the mic and start that segment over, but if some aspect of the actual gameplay goes wrong, such as a model pulling the wrong tag off to reveal the winning price, it’s set in stone, so to speak, and gets aired.

On the other hand, a few years ago, there was an incident where the Plinko board was accidentally rigged in the contestant’s favor. (Short video with Drew Carey describing the incident) During a shooting hiatus, the Plinko game was used in shooting promos, and nobody in the studio realized or remembered that the board had been rigged up with fishing line to guarantee $10,000 payouts for the promo. Midway through the game, someone had the “OH SHIT!” moment and stops the game. After some delay, the game is un-rigged and the contestant re-plays the game, winning an honest $3,000. She was also allowed to keep the $30,000 from the rigged game, but that was dropped from the broadcast entirely.

I wish I could remember the name of that movie.

Yeah, but isn’t part of the point that we don’t know what would’ve happened if the game were played as normal?

Guys And Dolls! To Catch A Thief! Guys And Dolls! Blackboard Jungle! Guys And Dolls! Bad Day At Black Rock! Guys And Dolls! To Hell And Back! Guys And Dolls!

I see what you did there, alternating a bad movie with a good one!

For as much as I love G&D the musical (which is nothing short of genius), the less said about the rather atrocious movie, the better.

Quiz Show Directed by Robert Redford

It’s not atrocious, but you got to think something’s wrong when the cast Frank Sinatra in a role originated by someone who couldn’t sing.

The producers were perfectly ready to give away the car if the contestant won. It’s not like it was a thousand-to-one longshot and the model messed it up. Whatever amount the show spent on the car was already built into the budget for the episode.

I’d always assumed the contestants spun in the order in which they got onstage, but now I realized that I don’t really know that. Have to look on Monday.

Re: the showcase showdown

I believe they play in reverse order of their winnings (so far). The player who has won the most gets the advantage of going last.

My fond teenage memory of Christmas 1984.

So at the start she had 3 chances to guess the right one of 5?

so to not win the car = .8*.75*.66 = ~.40
It’s not exactly like someone with a 60% chance anyway is gonna catch them unprepared when they do win.

Oh my.

Nope… top winner gets to go first and has the option to bid or pass.

Here is a good article on the guy who got the exact price on the showcase. Price Is Right Perfect Bid - How Terry Kniess Beat The Price Is Right.

That movie. You know the one. Where the guy was on that quiz show, and he knew the answers to the questions on the quiz show, that he won so much money he wasn’t allowed on anymore quz shows

I believe it was called “The man with the really good memory”

CITIZEN KANE! It was CITIZEN KANE! IT WAS CITIZEN KANE!

He’s talking about spinning the wheel, not the Showcase Showdown.