Prince Harry working in the USA?

Just saw on the news that Prince Harry is working in the US.

He’s Chief Impact Officer at BetterUp, a SF area tech company.

Is he allowed to work in the US? Does he have a green card?

When I visited England, I remember my passport being stamped “Employment not Allowed”.

Having a spouse with a US passport allows for extensions in in securing a permanent resident alien status with a green card. His status appears to be confidential but speculation is that he has until this summer to secure a green card.

Thanks.

WTF is a Chief Impact Officer?

The guy who customers can line up and punch when they are unhappy with the company? That would be cool.

Wouldn’t the Duchess of Sussex have renounced her US citizenship, what with being a duchess and all?

Why would that be a requirement?

Apparently, she is still a U.S. citizen, and is not a British citizen at this time. As per this 2019 article:

And, as per this People article from last month:

Interesting question. Here’s an opinion on the matter (bolding mine):

Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the U.S. Constitution, commonly referred to as the Emoluments Clause, states:

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

It appears that there is nothing that directly prevents an “ordinary” U.S. citizen who does not hold office from receiving a foreign title and using it as she pleases, unless it leads her to pledge allegiance to a foreign power. Such a pledge of allegiance would, in the past, automatically lead to a loss of U.S. citizenship.
Marry a Prince, become a Duchess, and Lose your American Citizenship? Could the Royal Wedding Create a Nationality Headache? Musings of an Immigration Lawyer - Lexology

Interestingly, though, it worked the other way for Conrad Black, who was offered the title of The Baron Black of Crossharbour in 2001. The Prime Minister of Canada at the time, Jean Chretien, objected to the title, citing the Nickle Resolution of 1919 disallowing the practice of bestowing titles of British nobility on Canadian citizens. In response, Black renounced his Canadian citizenship. Later, this made his eligibility to return to Canada questionable after his criminal conviction in the US. He was eventually re-admitted, but his long-term status is still uncertain, AFAIK.

She would be stateless if she had done that. The US does allow its citizens to voluntarily become stateless, but it’s still a bad idea.

I would have thought that the title of nobility came with British citizenship, but apparently no.

Meghan doesn’t have a title of nobility; Harry does. In British peerage law, the title exists only once, and is assigned to an individual titleholder - which is Harry, in the case of the title of Duke of Sussex. Meghan, being the wife of a Duke, has the courtesy title of Duchess, but the peerage is Harry’s.

WAG - his job is to be the famous face of the brand in order to attract punters*, investors and publicity. Lots of being at events and dinners and shaking a lot of hands, plus mentioning the company name in public at every opportunity.

*British slang for “customers”

I assume the US has similar employment laws to the UK, where companies can ‘sponsor’ the employment of a foreign national if they have unique skills/experience - there’s certainly an argument to be made that you’d be hard pushed to find a better person to fulfil the role of ‘Chief Impact Officer’.

My sister in law works for a major US business - originally in the UK, but now in the US. I assume the business sorts out her green card.

It’s how international business works.

And perhaps allowing them to add his name on their letterhead. a time-honoured way for the rich and famous to garner income with very little actual work.

You are correct. I’d forgotten about all the non-US sports figures etc. that work here. It’s that H1N1 visa thing I guess.

Doesn’t that sound an awful lot like the duties of Royal Life that he started all this to avoid?

Except for marching up and down the square, what else is he trained for?

It wasn’t the “duties of Royal Life” he was trying to avoid; it was the horrific family abusing his wife.

See, my mental image is that they gave him a bunch of wood, nails and a hammer to keep him busy between corporate promotional public appearances.