Princess P.T. Tech (warning: long. mild.)

I am a Physical Therapist. At work, I supervise and am assisted by a PT Tech. The PT tech is supposed to assist with paperwork, phones, and aspects of patient care. My regular tech is a good worker when she feels like it, but she is a princess with a huge sense of entitlement and a habit of manipulating and whining. She often takes unfair advantage of our desire to have a pleasant workplace. She will complain she is being spoken to rudely or disrespected if I verbally correct her when she does something over the bounds. Earlier this week, she secretly left the clinic to take a personal phone call on her cell phone. She was supposed to be on duty. This had left me in a busy situation, because I did not know she left, and I could hardly leave my patients to go looking for her. Today I told her that I needed to talk with her. The subject of the converstion was : You must notify me before you leave the clinic to take phone calls. Her response was to announce “That call was PERSONAL. It was IMPORTANT” while turning and marching out of the door. ( the ability to pronounce all capitals is a surer sign of royal blood then messing about with mattresses and peas) It seems to me that allowing the discussion to conclude with that staement would mean conceding the point that it was more important for princess tech to leave the premises at will to make personal phone calls, then to expect her to be availible for dumb 'ol patient care during work hours or anything… so I told her to “come back here”. Then I committed a bigger sin. I told her our duty to perform patient care took priority over making personal calls. So now I find that she has gone to my supervisor to complain that I am treating her badly and making unreasonable demands, and she is threatening to quit. The bitchy little princess is trying to get validiation for this behavior! AUGGGH!

And this is a bad thing? Sounds like you’d be well rid of her.

She has been there several years, she knows all the insurance procedures, and (until this incident) she had always been good at being there depenably. Hiring and training is apparently a monster pain. ( I have only been in this clinic one year-ish) I don’t want her fired. But I also don’t want to deal with this kind of thing every time she gets in a snit with her boyfriend, or decides she should make $14 an hour in a job that doen’t require a high school diploma.

Still, threatening to quit in this kind of market? You should have at least told her how stupid it was to say that.

If it were not for the chance that the big boss might decide that this difficult health care environmnet would make replacine her too expensive, I would encourage her to quit. I just don’t want to do her job + mine.

I understand that you were busy, and it was work time, but possibly something had come up that had to be dealt with and really was some sort of emergency or was pretty important, at least to her.

I only say this because when our house burned, my husband’s boss told my son (who’d called from a neighbor’s house…in hysterics) that he was busy. My son screeched into the phone, **“MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE!! GET MY DADDY ON THE PHONE!” **and only then was my husband called to the phone.

I do think she should have notified you that something was going on, instead of just leaving, however. All that she had to do was say, “Hey, I have to make some calls (or whatever) and I’ll be back pronto.” That’s just being courteous, especially if she’s got people to look after. You definitely should have been informed.

Sometimes people act like she did out of anxiety in personal lives, and while it shouldn’t interfere with our work, it sometimes does. That might be why she went off and threatened to quit…because she might be having a personal crisis, and was pretty stressed out.

Or maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. That’d be a good guess, too.

SilkyThreat, you have a good point. If she had said that, no problem. I did neglect to mention that she makes between 30 to 60 minutes worth of personal calls every day at work. (I am a PT I am good at adding time in my head- part of the job). I don’t care if she sticks a cellphone up her ass if it does not interfere with her job duties. In the past year I had to act as a caregiver for a family member who kept having medical emergencies and then died, so I can certainly make allowances. My real beef with this is that when I tried to talk with her about this, she escalated it into a confrontation, walked away while I was talking to her, and now we will have to go through the drama again tomorrow at a meeting. Granted, My tone of voice gets pretty sharp when I find myself suddenly talking to the back of someone’s head.

Yeah, it is the politeness thing. She is going to claim that my rudeness is the problem, not her behavior. I think my manners were as googd as ther situation merited.

Call me a harsh taskmistress, but when I was an employer personal calls were a strict no-no unless they were an emergency, such as your house on fire, sick kids, etc.

Doesn’t sound like pretty pretty princess here understands the idea of being paid to do work. When you’re at work, whether you punch a timecard or not you’re on your employer’s time. Using that time to make personal calls is akin to stealing – and especially if she spends as much time on the phone as you say. That’s outrageous!

As far as I can see, you’ll come out of this smelling like a rose. I don’t see any way that she can justify not only backtalking to you but also taking advantage of her employer like this. I’d be sure to bring these points up at the meeting.

Regardless of how well trained she is, she’s still under your supervision and reports to you. You don’t get paid to be nice to her, you get paid to do your job and make sure she does hers.

Best of luck.

hmm. You know, between this thread and the the “blimp” thread. I feel a lot better now. Thanks everybody, I feel I have a better perspective.

Dude, she spends 30 to 60 minutes a day on personal calls?? That’s outrageous! That should be enough to fire her right now!

As for this recent incident, walking out without saying anything is a bad thing. If I’d done it, I’d expect my boss to have a chat with me. But if I had talked back and stormed off the way she did, I’d expect to be searching the want ads by morning.

The correct response by management to the above statement is

May I extend my deepest symphaties, ** conurepete**.
Before we moved our little business, I had the pleasure of employeeing a princess of my very own. Suffice it to say, it didn’t help that we had been friends origninally.

Although she intially begged me for the job, it wasn’t long before I became evil incarnate. I had the temerity to expect her to 1)arrive on time; 2)actually gasp, perform specific job related functions ; and 3) not throw temper tantrums about her personal life that disrupted the entire office and affected our clients.

Befoer we relocated, I gave her two count 'em two months to find a new position whith unlimited time off during the day. This was back in Feburary of 2000 when a burger flipper in Austin could find work starting at $12.00 an hour.

On her last day, she had a fit because I refused to give her any sort of exit bonus. Mind you, she still owed me money for prior salary adavnces and a computer that we had built for her. As she swept imperiously out the door, she made it abundantly clear that now she was off to work for a good employeer and all her current problems were now solved.

Apparently that job didn’t last too long because I soon began getting calls from companies to whom she owed money. A

May I extend my deepest sympathies, ** conurepete**.
Before we moved our little business, I had the pleasure of employing a princess of my very own. Suffice it to say, it didn’t help that we had been friends originally.

Although she initially begged me for the job, it wasn’t long before I became evil incarnate. I had the temerity to expect her to 1) arrive on time; 2) actually gasp, perform specific job related functions; and 3) not throw temper tantrums about her personal life that disrupted the entire office and affected our clients.

Before we relocated, I gave her two count 'em two months to find a new position with unlimited time off during the day. This was back in February of 2000 when a burger flipper in Austin could find work starting at $12.00 an hour.

On her last day, she had a fit because I refused to give her any sort of exit bonus. Mind you, she still owed me money for prior salary advances and a computer that we had built for her. As she swept imperiously out the door, she made it abundantly clear that now she was off to work for a good employer and all her current problems were now solved.

Apparently that job didn’t last too long because I soon began getting calls from companies to whom she owed money. And, of course, other employers seeking a job reference. I’d like to pretend that I’m a bigger person and that I didn’t gain any satisfaction when I began receiving those calls but I’d be a giant liar if I did.

Please ignore the first post-for some reason I can’t ever contribute coherently to a thread on this message board.
Better yet, I’d adore it if a mod would delete it.

Hmm, funny you should mention it. At work today, princess made sure to take a personal call in the office, and smugly stated “no, but it doesn’t matter. I won’t be here long, I’ve sent out applications”. The meeting appears postponed, but I have been assured by my supervisor " It’s okay, don’t worry". So we will see over the next few days. I think I will get her formally written up as soon as the form is found (its been a while since we have had a problem of this magnitude) It’s kind of a pity, but I enjoyed her company at work today- she was a joy: making a big show of how busy and put upon she was, and never, ever talking to me. No complaints about personal life or further whining about why she deserves a third raise (in this last 2 year span.) I may miss her.

RRARGGH! It appears as if this is being seen (at work) as a “personality conflict” between the 2 of us! Personality is not the issue! Only behavior matters!

WTF?? Personality conflict? She’s outright stealing from the company by using their time to make personal calls. Is she salaried or is she on the clock? If she’s salaried, I’d tell them that the only way to resolve this is to make her an hourly employee – and make her clock out to make personal calls.

Want me to go down there and kick her ass? I’ve got some good boots that need breaking in, and it’s been too long since I had the chance to break the will of an insubordinate employee. It’d come back to me real quick though :wink:

You know? If she’s fired “for cause” she’ll have to wait 6 weeks to get any unemployment.

Taking up to an hour a day on personal calls sure sounds like “for cause” to me.

Yeah, I think I had better get a meeting with the office manger alone. the thing about princess marching out of the office in a rage and leaving me ther, is that immediately wrote down a full transcript of the incident. Also, I have an eye-witness PT on the other incident. ( Flex shift PT walks in “Hey Conurepete, I thought you guys were to busy to answer the phone”. Me " We are. I can’t even find Princess, we’re so busy. Could you do an ultrasound for me?". Flex Pt “Uh, of course. Did you know Princess is outside talking on her cellphone?” Me- dead silence and brain vaporlock from visions of negligence issues and gross insubordination. ) I should have started screaming on the spot rather than compose my thoughts.