Pristine 1967 Chevrolet Corvette with just 2,996 miles going up for auction.

Car collectors spend their entire lives dreaming of a find like this. A garaged Corvette with under 3000 miles on it. Wrapped in a car cover! wheres the Drool icon? :cool:

They claim no one has ever sat in the passenger seat or that it’s been in the rain. I’m not sure that can be proved. :stuck_out_tongue: But it’s nice to think its true.

I wish this one time that I was filthy rich. I bet this one goes for at least a quarter million.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140226/carnews01/140229873

The article completely fails to mention it’s a 427, which is a very big deal on top of all the rest.

I had wondered about the engine size. The guy ordered the very best.

I noticed the article says the guy retired from the Marines at 30. Not likely unless he signed up when he was 10. He may enlisted for a hitch or two. But couldn’t have served more than 12 years.

It could have been a medical retirement - there was a little war going on in '66…

More likely he just didn’t re-enlist. The writer of the article didn’t know the difference.

Love the car…but I am a heathen. I would replace a lot of the factory stuff on there, particularly the wheels and tires, suspension components, brakes, steering wheel, stereo, exhaust, etc.

Hate those factory Vette wheels from that model. But a 427 with a 4 speed? Hellz yes!

According to the auction house as quoted in the linked article, they’re estimating over half a mil.

I don’t know cars very well, especially classics, but I definitely feel the excitement from the article and this thread. The owner’s behavior towards it does strike me as odd, though. Someone should check for demonic possession or something.

Are the chrome alternator and bracket correct? Brake reservoir cover looks chromed too.

The icing on the cake would have been the 3X2v Tri-Power option.

I never cared for those wheels either. I prefer the 8 inch Corvette rally wheels.

An absolutely stunning car. none-the-less!

I like those wheels much better as well. But I still would “butcher” the car and bring it up to modern standards in every way if money were no object. My idea of the “awesomest” classic car is to basically preserve the exterior in almost every way but to completely gut the car and put in modern everything. Perhaps with a car as valuable as this one I wouldn’t do that, but I wouldn’t think twice about doing it to a “lesser” muscle car, like say, a 396 Chevelle or a GTO or something similar.

The thing about classic cars is the incredible styling. You just don’t see anything like this on the road anymore. That bright red interior and white exterior is just incredible. Yes, modern suspensions and brakes are far superior. I used to watch *Overhaulin *and Chip Foose’s team always changed out the old suspension (usually with a Hotchkis Sports suspension).

Much I love this pristine Mustang it’s value is in the low mileage and basically factory stock condition. This is a car that almost has to be parked in somebody’s showroom. Just driving the car would chip away at that half million dollar value.

it would be better to find a vintage mustang that’s not eat up with rust. Change out the suspension and brakes. Drop an Edelbrock crate engine in it. Now you got something you can actually drive and enjoy for a lot less money.

With it sitting that long, I am curious what would have to be replaced. Would all the hoses and belts be cracked, for example?

Here’s a different article that has bigger pictures.

Here’s a low angle shot that’s not in the articles.

I hope the tires are replaced if they are old.

Yes, I’d love to see pics from when it was first uncovered. It’s been shined within an inch of it’s life but I’m pretty sure a knowledgeable car guy would’t change or replace a single thing that wasn’t absolutely necessary. It would be interesting to see the whole cleanup process.

The article from post #12 said it had never been washed with water when found, but it still was beautiful.

I think it absolutely depends on the temperature and humidity at which the car was stored. I saw a 1971 Plymouth GTX at a muscle car museum in Gatlinburg that had 1,100 miles on it and it had original everything…hoses, belts, tires…but is kept in temperature controlled conditions and is never driven.

Noticed this in the comments section of the article linked in post 12.

“sorry not buying this BS.Wrong shifter,wrong valve covers,wrong wheel center caps,wrong tachometer,wrong hood latches,wrong alternator arm/bracket,odometer is not aligned properly,wrong smog injectors into exhaust manifolds,RED radiator support brackets???wrong brake fluid cover,WHAT IS THE CRAP ON TOP OF THE AIR CLEANER COVER?PULL THE TANK STICKER?”

I can imagine a guy like that fussing over the car even if he never drove it. He may well have added a lot of chrome and other doodads to dress it up even if it was only for him to see. Also, someone noted that there is a cobra emblem on the glove box. The cobra is well known as the emblem of the Corvettes Ford rival, the Shelby Cobra.

I went back and looked at the close up of the odometer. You can see a portion of the tach and to my eye appears to match the speedo. Not sure why the commentor would think it’s wrong.

The car sold at auction today for $725,000 dollars.

Woof, lot of money for a car.

The AM/FM factory radio made all the difference. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I can remember my relative’s older cars with only AM. AM was the standard factory radio until the mid or late 60’s. You had to special order AM/FM or get an after market radio.

Somebody has a really nice display piece. I can’t imagine anyone driving that car. Extra miles on the car will dramatically cut its value.