Pro-Trump T-shirts at Resorts

Not resort-related (our town is not exactly a vacation destination), but it strikes me that the last time I saw a MAGA hat or any Trump gear was at least two years ago, on someone walking into the Rural King.*
And this is a red county in a very red state.

*Rural King is a sort of redneck Wal-Mart. Not too many with :rainbow: hair, but lots of tattoos.
**I’ve had a fantasy of Mrs. J. and I waiting at the front desk at a restaurant to be seated, with a group behind us including dolts wearing MAGA gear. When the receptionist asks if we’re all together, I say “Oh HELL no.”

I’ve seen one in the last few years.

:distorted_face: Umm… My condolences.

Article about a dying Trump store.

Paywalled. Here’s an article about the ‘superstore’ I found.

[T]he shop is selling off its remaining inventory at a 50 percent discount, Slate reports. It’s going out of business, and its owner, identified as William 'Bill" Hays, admitted the closure is due to lack of customers.

It isn’t for me. And I’ve never been a subscriber.

Join Slate Plus to keep reading: “If You Want to Know How Trump 2.0 Is Really Going, I Suggest a Visit to the Dying Trump “Superstore””

Subscribe to stay ahead of what’s happening, why it matters, and what’s next. Try 3 months for just $5 per month. Cancel anytime.

Join Slate Plus

Already a member?Sign in here.

Here’s the story referencing to it that I originally saw.

Everybody typically gets one or two “freebies” before requiring you to subscribe. If you’ve already used yours, you can usually reset this by deleting all of your cookies associated with that website.

I’ve been looking online, and I see lots of “Lake America” T-shirts, sweatshirts, and hats.

Of course, I also see plenty of “Lake Ontario”, “Lake Ontario Forever”, “Lake Ontario and Gulf of Mexico” merchandise, too. I can’t tell which type is more popular from their representation online. And I suspect a lot of people buying “Lake America” merchandise are non-Trumpers buying it ironically, or as ironic gifts for friends. And it’s too late in the season to do a survey at resorts, at least where I live.

Is anybody seeing “Lake America” stuff for sale on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, in upstate New York?

I saw a ‘Gulf of America’ shirt on a guy as I snaked through the security line at an airport. I wanted to slap him everytime we passed each other.

That might have gotten you moved up to the front of the line. Well, Out of the Line at least.

Or surreptitiously tape on him, underneath the slogan, a placard saying “is between my ears”.

Harder to do if the slogan is on the front of the shirt rather than the back, of course.

Well, I thought that the local Turnip Truck would have started up in earnest in the run up to the election but thankfully it was closed even when I passed it this afternoon. I think in the past 6 months I’ve seen it open twice in dozens of times of passing it, and with no customers in line either of those times. Sadly, in the preceding few years that it had been in business, there were occasionally people at it browsing the goods.

Maybe that’s a good sign that red hat fatigue has finally kicked in. Hopefully this will translate into casual pro-trumpers becoming disenchanted rather than rabid ones becoming casual, because even a casual maga gets one vote, but I guess we will find that out in a month.

A CNN report finds that business has slowed to a trickle at a MAGA merchandise store:

CNN Goes Inside A MAGA Merch Store And Finds Trouble For Donald Trump

Sales have plummeted at the pro-Trump store, where even some loyal customers voiced their frustrations.

[![Lee Moran|100x100]

By Lee Moran

Oct 7, 2026, 05:50 AM EDT

|
[CNN] found signs of potential trouble for [Donald Trump] in an unlikely place ― a store dedicated to selling MAGA merchandise.

During a segment that aired Tuesday on Anderson Cooper’s show, correspondent Elle Reeve returned to Whitey Taylor’s Trump Town USA store in Boones Mill, Virginia, where she discovered business has slowed dramatically since her first visit in 2023.

Taylor, who said Trump-themed merch has made him millions of dollars over the years, told Reeve that the store’s previous $12,000 to $15,000 sales days have dwindled to around $1,500 to $2,000.

He suggested Trump supporters “are mad at the president,” although he predicted business would eventually rebound after Trump leaves office and that he’d be able to cash in via a Trump dynasty:

“People ask me all the time, ‘Oh, so when are you going to close?’ You know, I said 2040 [because it gives] all the Trump kids time to run through the office first.”

Homer: This year, I invested in pumpkins. They’ve been going up the entire month of October, and I predict they’ll peak right around January!

Disco Stu: Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976? If these trends continue… aayyy!

Fifty bucks says that this guy back in 2016 was one of the Trumpies loudly proclaiming how unAmerican it would be to establish a political “dynasty” by voting for Hillary Clinton a mere decade and a half after her husband had been President. :roll_eyes:

It’s awful bold of you to assume he understands a word like dynasty. “You mean the television series?” But your point stands, Trump supporters tend to vehemently oppose many things unless it’s Trump doing it.