[QUOTE=Martin Hyde]
I disagree.
I don’t think the entire country should be willing to go fight in a war where THEY ARE NOT NEEDED. We had a global coalition with so much overkill it was RIDICULOUS. We were never in any danger of even remotely being prevented militarily from knocking the Iraqis out of Kuwait.
[/quote]
You’re saying that Americans were not needed there?
I thought we established that we’re merely talking about citizens judging the value and necessity of a war by the willingness they’d have to risk their own life for that cause.
They wouldn’t have to go anywhere, just be willing to die for the cause if they were there.
Anyway, I think that it’s a little pointless to confuse ourselves over the details since neither you or I agree with that judgement to begin with.
Again, I thought we were talking about deciding whether or not to send the professionals at all, based on a nonprofessional’s individual perception of the actual importance of the event. That citizens should not order professionals to risk their lives for a cause unless those citizens believed the cause would be worth their own life.
Again, neither you or I agree with that anyway. But I thought that’s what we talking about when I said I hoped Kuwait would have passed even that test. Citizens wouldn’t have to be inclined to do anything. They would just have to believe in their heart that the liberation of Kuwait is a cause worth their own life.
Anyway…
Should? Or did you mean “shouldn’t”. And by “you”, you dont mean me personally. Right?
You would. Because you believe the cause is worth the risk to your life.
But the point is that you still hold the same opinion as when there were NOT enough firefighters. The cause is still as important. It is a cause that you believe is worth risking your own life for. It just so happens that there are enough people already risking theres, so no effort from you is required. And you can watch those firefighters on the news with pride and say "I support what they are doing. I believe it is an important and noble cause, one that is even worth my own life! I agree with the person who made the decision to send those firefighters to save the people in that building. Good thing we have those brave firefighters!
You dont have to DO anything to believe in your heart that a cause is worth risking even your own individual life for.
Anyway, I dont think we’re actually disagreeing anywhere. Just we’re both analyzing newcrasher’s POV a little different.
