Product categories no longer advertised on TV?

Alas, no; the most recent Beetle model (the A5) was discontinued by VW after the 2019 model year.

Okay, I did not know that. Pity. I’ve always wanted one. :frowning:

The other cars were just meant to be facetious. I apologize.

True, but the end of this year isn’t that far away. You’d think they’d want to try to generate interest in them before they actually go on sale. But maybe they’ve done enough of that through other channels.

I forgive you. It just isn’t interesting that companies are not currently buying commercial air time for products that have not been manufactured for decades. (But it would be interesting if any did. Show me a current ad campaing from Sony trying to get you to buy Betamax and I’ll be impressed.)

I hear you!

I suspect that’s the case. Also, demand for pretty much all new cars and trucks has been outpacing demand this year, due to production limits caused by parts shortages (particularly computer chips). As a result, the automakers are in a position where they really don’t need to stoke additional demand for most models, and from what I’ve read, there is already a lot of excitement for the Maverick.

I don’t see any commercials for Serutan or Geritol, which seemed to be really common decades ago. Doesn’t anyone get “iron poor blood” anymore?

I don’t watch much tv but do local grocery stores advertise anymore?

♪ Dominick’s ♪

Down at the shop where the lights come from
The Mazda man put his thinking cap on

He made a light, a wonder light
And he called it Mazda Wonderlight

He took the boxes to the shops
With different colours on the tops

Now you can tell what watt you’ve got
Now you can tell what watt you’ve got

That’s right, that’s bright
That’s Mazda Wonderlight.

Thinking about Time/Life: Another erstwhile type of commercial were those for magazine subscriptions. I remember Time and Sports Illustrated most vividly.

What about Publisher’s Clearing House—do they still do commercials?

Definitely not as frequently as they used to run them. Publishers Clearing House is still around, but it seems their focus is more online these days. Still, they were running TV spots last year with Marie Osmond.

I don’t see a lot of TV commercials but I haven’t seen any recent ones for board games. This includes games like Twister and Yahtzee.

I’ll occasionally see ads for both “family” games (mostly from Hasbro), and kid-oriented games, mostly on cable channels that focus on kid-oriented programming, but it’s definitely not common, and not the sort of ads you’d see on the major networks anymore.

Tuna - I still buy tuna and remember talking cartoon fish from my youth. Probably not advertised since the 70s. Sorry, Charlie.
Peanut butter - I can still name several brands but cannot think of any recent ads for any of them.

What do you get if you cross a rooster and a Bell telephone pole?

A 30-foot cock that wants to reach out and touch someone.

No one would get that, nowadays.

For whatever reason, this was the first thing that sprang to my mind. Have the Tuna Wars between Starkist and Chicken of the Sea cooled down?

And, margarine. I remember Parkay and Imperial and Chiffon (“It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature”) being heavily advertised.

Do they still advertise kids’ cereals on TV, and I just never see the ads because I don’t watch kids’ shows?

Starkist still does some ads for their newer foil pouches of tuna (as well as salmon and chicken), and they still even use Charlie. I’ve seen this ad on cable TV in the last couple of weeks.

But, for canned tuna? They may well have not advertised it in many years.

I’ve seen ads on cable for Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes, and Lucky Charms within the past few weeks. I do suspect that it’s a matter of you not watching the channels/shows where they place the ads.

I’m seeing commercials galore for laxatives right now.

Anemia isn’t as common as it used to be, due to improved diet, and it often has causes that iron supplements alone won’t treat. BTW, Geritol is still on the market, as an iron-fortified vitamin supplement.