Product categories no longer advertised on TV?

I was thinking of individual brands and brand categories that I used to see on TV all the time but never do anymore.

For instance, what made it cross my mind this latest time is something made me think of Rolled Gold pretzels, which used to have constant ads with Jason Alexander. I definitely don’t see adds for Rolled Gold anymore, but I don’t really see many for different snack foods either.

Commercials for fuel brands. Remember when Gary Burghoff was That Gulf Guy, later That BP Guy?

Panty hose—they are still are sold, but I don’t hear about nothing beating a great pair of L’eggs (or similar commercials) any more.

Obviously cigarettes.

What else is still around but not given the ad dollars it used to have?

I dont think I’ve EVER seen a television ad for string.

Which would be a great comment, if it had anything whatsoever to do with the thread topic.

This was a weird category to pop into my mind first, but I don’t see commercials for aluminum foil or wax paper, and only rarely for plastic wrap. I guess everyone stores there leftovers in plastic containers these days.

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen douche commercials in… a while.

Or any commercials involving pouring blue liquids on absorbent objects.

The pretzel ads may not have worked so well–the brand name is Rold Gold not Rolled Gold.

I don’t see many ads for non-boutique razors, and none for shaving cream.

And it’s been a while since I’ve seen a light bulb commercial.

I’m hoping people can remember more products like this: still with us, rarely/never advertised these days, but back in the day?..

Heavily touted with lots of ad dollars trying to convince you to “Put a Tiger in Your Tank!” or “trust your car to the man who wears the star/the big, bright Texaco staaaar!” (And WHY do I have that rambling around my brain instead of my to-do list?)

Maybe they’re not advertised as much as they used to be, but I am sure I’ve seen ads for Chevron recently, featuring talking cartoon cars discussing how Chevron with Techron fuel is better for their engines.

Furniture polish and floor polish were two things that came to mind. (Maybe I listen to too much “Fibber McGee and Molly”.)

I still see those.

What about commercials for Time/Life books, or record/tape/cd clubs?

I think about this topic from time to time. Lessee here …

• Commericals for diet aids have disappeared. Going way back, many of us can recall the Ayds Diet Candy commercials. Dexatrim capsules were another diet aid that were once all over prime-time television.

• Long distance carriers. “Reach out and touch someone” was the tagline of one of the most successful ad campaigns in advertising history. After the Ma Bell breakup, AT&T and other Baby Bells kept up commercials with the same tagline for a while.

• Instant coffee was once a hugely popular consumer product in the U.S. It’s still around, of course, but with a much lower profile. Popular brands were Taster’s Choice and the decaffeinated Sanka.

The only coffee my grandmother drank. It was always in the house.

I have memories of the same. I think to myself “That was pretty recent, right?” Without researching, though … I bet it’s been a good six or seven years since either of us have seen one of those specific Chevron “talking cartoon car” commercials.

If she added Cremora and NectaSweet … you and I might be first cousins :smiley:

To tie this post into the thread: Powdered coffee creamers don’t seem to have commercials anymore. Plenty of commercials nowadays for the now-more-popular liquid creamers, though.

You’re Wilkins.

BP pretty regularly advertises about their “Ultimate” grade of gas here in the Chicago area, at least, and I can remember seeing ads for Shell and Citgo in the not-too-distant past.

I see a Chevron ad every once in a while on cable, but otherwise, I don’t see them often; however, as Chevron is primarily a West Coast brand, that just means that they’re good at their media buying, and not advertising here in the Midwest, where they don’t operate. :slight_smile: