Professions with distinct accents/inflections

After hearing a female comedian on Sirius this morning, I thought “why do they all sound like that?” There seems to be a special Seinfeldesque accent or inflection, used when most of them perform.

What about other occupations or fields where practitioners have a trademark inflection? Some others that come to mind include:

[ul][li]Airline pilots, who all seem to imitate Chuck Yeager [/li][li]DJs at strip clubs[/li][li]Elementary school teachers[/li][li]Ma Bell-era telephone operators, as parodied by Lily Tomlin[/li][li]OTR truck drivers - even those who hail from the Northeast have a grizzled Appalachian inflection when they’re on the CB[/li]Mental health professionals and social workers, as often parodied on King of the Hill. Yes, I’ve met many a shrink with a Sensitive New Age Accent.[/ul]

Baptist preachers, even ones in Northern churches, quite often add-uh lots of extra syllables-uh to their-uh words-uh.

The guys who do the voice-overs for movie trailers.

TV News anchors tend to have a fairly hard, no-accent way of speaking. Unless they’re Hispanic and run across a Hispanic name…

Oh… also, monster truck rally advertisers

“Sunday SUNDAY SUNDAY at the Metrodome!!!”

You mean the guy who does voice-overs for movie trailers.

And even though some sound different, it’s still him. He’s got like 6 different, almost distinct voices he uses.

Sometimes for art-house stuff, it’s different people. But this guy does almost every trailer you hear.

Radio announcers (of which I am one) speak in a “special” way that no one does in real life. If I talked like that in public, people would want to slap me! Fortunately, I am aware of this. Much of what makes my voice sound so different coming out of the radio has to do with dynamic compression in the software that I use to record my voice, and in the processing equipment en route to the transmitter. When people find out it’s me, and ask me to do that voice, I can’t replicate it. There is such an appreciable difference between how I sound on the radio and in real life, that I have only been recognized by my voice twice in 3 1/2 years at this station.

Some receptionists - who can’t seem to differentiate professional-sounding from condescending. Although it’s funny to hear them switch back and forth.

I second pilots - they ALL sound the same.

I didn’t mention radio voices, but now that you bring it up, I’ve noticed some distinct radio inflections or accents, depending on the format.

[ul][li]The soft-spoken, pretentious classical DJ[/li][li]The trademark local NPR affiliate announcer voice[/li][li]The sports talk voice, which I call the ultimate Jim Rome clone[/ul][/li]
I’m curious about the truck driver accent, and why they all sound like grizzled parrots from Appalachia, even when they’re from other parts of the country. Listen to the introduction to the song Convoy - that’s an unmistakable truck driver accent.

My husband has Polite Phone Voice. I love calling him at work. After does the, “Hello thank you for call the Eyeglasses Barn* my name is Hubert** how may I help you?” spiel I say, “Hello, Polite Phone Voice Man!”

That’s how he knows it’s me.

• Not his actual place of work.
    ** Not his actual name.

Golf announcers. Pretending to speak softly, like they’re not sitting 100 feet above the green in a crane and there’s no way the golfers can hear them, then going utterly silent during the backswing.

“[sub]…and now here’s Vijay Singh…he’s got a pretty good look at the slope of the green…looks like a 9-iron…<silence> [thwack!]…[/sub]…and he’s put that one RIGHT on the flagstick! Brilliant!”

Jeeze, I forgot about NPR. When flipping through channels, I can peg NPR instantly just from the announcer, before I even hear what they’re talking about.

Is there a class for “NPR Voice?” :smiley:

Presenters of rich-and-famous programmes. They all sound like Alan Whicker. In fact…there are just too many Whickers.

British film-critics. All sound like Barry Norman.

And why not?