[QUOTE=Gary T]
Bolding mine. What is “didn’t” if not a negative?
[/QUOTE]
I’ts not me proving a negative just because my statement to you was phrased with the word “didn’t” in it. It could have been phrased this way “I’m asserting that dinosaurs lived long before humans and he is claiming they didn’t.” Now that the word “didn’t” is used in reference to him and not me, is it now him who is being asked to prove a negative?
[QUOTE=Gary T]
Bolding mine. What is “didn’t” if not a negative?
[/QUOTE]
How would you propose to PROVE that pigs don’t fly? Have you seen every pig in existence? Have you watched them 24/7 to verify that they don’t pop out their hidden wings at 3:00 am and take off? Of course not. If someone wants to assert that pigs fly, the burden of proof is solely on him to produce solid evidence of such.
[/quote]
Of course I agree with this, but this isn’t the same situation. We both believe in the existence of humans and dinosaurs; we just disagree on the time lines.
[QUOTE=Gary T]
Bolding mine. What is “didn’t” if not a negative?
[/QUOTE]
And since your contention that humans and dinosaurs did not coexist is supported (not proven, as it can’t be proven) by overwhelming evidence, just as my contention that pigs don’t fly is supported by overwhelming evidence, your point is made. If your friend wants to assert that humans and dinosaurs did coexist, or that pigs do fly, it’s up to him to provide the evidence.
[/quote]
As has been brought up in this thread, fossils found in the layers of the Earth and radiometric dating prove that humans and dinosaurs did not coexist, but creationists just claim that radiometric dating is inaccurate and that human prints were found with dinosaurs.
[QUOTE=Gary T]
Of course, as others have suggested, it’s likely that his mind is made up and that he will dismiss any evidence you present, while ignoring the flaws in any evidence he comes up with. But one sure bet is that he will not come up with any evidence for his assertion that is considered solid and acceptable by anyone other than creationists and the like.
[/QUOTE]
That’s what’s so frustrating. I like to think that I’m a fairly intelligent person, but not being able to provide a good arguement makes me doubt myself. I ended up bringing forth a pretty arguement though (with help from you guys), but of course it didn’t get me anything but a headache. When you start getting asked to “prove that radiometric dating methods are accurate”, I end up being the one doing all of the research and getting nowhere. Thanks guys.