Proud Member of the SDMB "99'ers"!

Feh.

Better than some, not as good as others.

Besides, it’s not the size of the post count, it’s the quality of the posts.

I’ve been trying to tell my wife a variant of that for years.

:smack:

Yep, I joined up in July, '99 (god…is it really 5 years ago?). And I was a member of the AOL boards…in fact, it was one of my letters to Cecil that was the last SD article ever uploaded to the AOL Straight Dope site.

So…does this mean I get to talk like a grizzled 1840s prospector? (Dadgumit.)

Hey Everybody!

I joined in March of '99. I’m member number 157. I too was a member of the old AOL boards.

Gee time flies when you’re having fun!

Shouldn’t we all be wearing a funky colored sport coat or something?

Hey, cool. I just noticed that I’m 3rd on the list of 99ers who have replied to this thread.

Way To Go, tomndebb (user # 82), and
Gail (user # 141)
enright3 (user # 157)

Damnit, Gail you beat me by 16!

I’m curious to see how many 99ers are still active.

Satan? Where are you? Oh never mind you’ve been a bad boy.

E3

I still read semi frequently, post even less frequently.
But, I’m here and I saw this thread. I am now typing. I guess that makes me active.

If I’d known there was going to be a club, I’d have registered when I started lurking in the fall of '99! Ah well.

posts solely to bump Enright3 down to #4

runs out of thread to avoid retaliation

:smiley:

Where do you see your member number?

I wasn’t on AOL (I consider myself superior for not having ever used AOL… just kidding :wink: ) but I was on the Cecil Adams usenet group, the name of which escapes me now, as far back as 1995 or so. Anyone else?

Well, I’m #114, so that pushes Enright3 down to #5. (If I had known this was “gang up on E3 day” I would have been here sooner.)

To expand on ruadh’s comment, in additional to the AOL message board there was the alt.fan.cecil-adams USENET group which I was active on and which still exists. When this message board started up Deborah posted an announcement in alt.fan.cecil-adams and I rushed over here.

Yo.

I’m still here, somewhat.

I remember Deborah - the SJF who changed her username everytime she had a birthday, right? What name is (was) she registered here under?

Deborah (signed up as SDMB member #86, but no longer active here).

On AOL, she finally got tired of changing her username each year and changed in to SJF1959, for Single Jewish Female born in 1959.

Hover your cursor on the username at the top of a post, and look at the progress bar at the bottom of the screen. The number at the end of the line is the member number.

I was on the AOL board before I became #43 over here. I think the usenet board was called alt.fan.ceciladams. Something like that.

Um, 45, that is. Problem is, you have to have your own post handy to find the number. :smack:

It was alt.fan.cecil.adams, and I was on it pretty heavy before this board came into being. I was never a member of AOL, but thought about joining for the first time when I heard about the Straight Dope group there.

Here I is. Nice to see that I’m not the only 99er with a relatiely low post count, though I think I’d be closer to 3k without the winter of our lost content.

Just to clarify things, the USENET group was, and still is, alt.fan.cecil-adams (with a hyphen between cecil and adams). I notice that Bermuda999 and M C Hamster still are active there.)

Nah, you’re not alone.

So what kind of fringe benefits do us 99ers get? A complimentary breakfast, perhaps? :wink:

Where has Monty been? He used to be the oldest regular poster, but has gone missing for about a year now.