PSA: Don't walk in front of a moving car.

Also: Don’t step out of moving bus right in front of street light pole.

It seems life was simpler in 1948, if this was the country’s first commercial. (And ambulances weren’t necessary, I guess. Passers-by just carried you to the hospital.)

When I was in the service, AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Service) used to run a commercial multiple times per hour reminding you not to shop for groceries when you’re hungry. I guess the government’s idea of compelling television isn’t all that and a bag of potato chips.

I could have used this PSA when I was first in the Navy. I don’t know how it is now, but in the early 70s on Navy bases, all vehicles had to stop if pedestrians were in or near a crosswalk. I got used to just walking on my merry way.

Then I went home on leave and was walking in downtown Baltimore with my dad - he had to grab my arm and pull me back as I prepared to step off the curb. Not one of my smarter moments.

That is awesome, just grab a limb and start walking.

Interesting that the 1948 commercial shows each victim being picked up and carried somewhere. Guess they never heard of broken bones. Imagine what moving the body can do if there are internal injuries.

I don’t know how common it is elsewhere, but by me there are several cities with a pedestrian-heavy downtown area (Royal Oak, Berkley, Ferndale, Birmingham MI) where that is the rule.

Wall*Mart` has many folks thinking they can do that just anywhere.

They left that one guy’s hat! Do you suppose it’s still there? It’s a pretty neat hat.

The first “victim” actually secures his hat when they pick him up off the ground. (Maybe he’s used to the routine.)

In fact, if you just listen to the music and ignore the narration, it actually seems like the movie was made to show you how to run people over in an orderly manner. Especially when they carry off the first guy, and it immediately goes into a triumphant horn crescendo.

Just because the rule/law is that pedestrians have the right of way in a crosswalk doesn’t make getting hit by a car less painful/deadly.

Well, the notion that cars should defer to pedestrians in any way at all is more an exception than a rule in the world at large. This ad is more saying, “If you haven’t noticed, there are these new mechanical things in the street now, and they can kill you if you aren’t careful. And don’t get off of a moving bus, by the way.”