PSA: To those who cut their own hair

I’ve been buzz-cutting my own hair for a few years now. #3 comb over the whole head. I think I mostly do a good job of it. The hardest part is getting a decent line on the neck. Some guys will use their clippers for this, I use a razor blade after I cut my hair. A handheld mirror is an absolute requirement for this task. It takes a bit of practice either way, but it’s not an insurmountable task. After a few cuts, you get the hang of it.

If you’re going to cut your own hair, there are some important things to know. First of all, don’t try to do this with a cheap tool. I use an Oster clipper, Wahl makes professional quality clippers too. You’re going to save some money on haircuts in the long run, so don’t buy cheap clippers. You should be really suspicious of anything under fifty bucks. Also, as mentioned above, the hardest part is shaping your cut. A second pair of hands is great for this, but some of us are single and asking a friend or casual acquaintance for hair cutting assistance can be awkward.

The thing I really want to talk about, the PSA of this thread, is a warning to anyone who participates in the cutting of their own hair. Above I talked about the neck line. The neck line is literally and metaphorically fuzzy. When a man goes to a barber for a scissors cut, the barber still pulls out the clippers to buzz the fuzz off the neck at the end. Fine and good.

However, there is another hair line. The main hair line. The natural hair line on your forehead, which has no fuzzy border. I am here to tell you that you should not, under any circumstances, fuck with your hair line. It’s natural to have points on your hair line, below the top of your hairline that point in, towards the center of your face. This is perfectly normal. Not everyone has it, but it’s normal.

What you should not do, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ever, is to try to “shape” the natural hair line of your forehead. I have no idea why I did this. As mentioned previously, I’ve been cutting my own hair for several years now. Why on this particular day I saw fit to fight my hair line, I don’t think I will ever be able to explain.

I look like a monkey and I want to stress that you should NEVER, EVER TRIM YOUR HAIR LINE. Never. Not even once.

This thread is useless without pictures.
:smiley:

Just shave it. You’ll feel (and look) better.

I would not. There’s an old joke about God creating so many perfect heads and covering the rest with hair. My head is the embodiment of this joke.

You’re saying you don’t like this look?

Correct. I do not like any of those looks and while my current look doesn’t look like any of those looks, it is equally deplorable.

Just say no to hair line trimming. Not even once.

Photo ! Photo ! Photo !

There was scant chance of me sharing a photo yesterday. Today, the chance is insignificantly different from zero.

I agree with the OP. Better to stick with your God-given Eddie Munster look.

So, it’s more of a this look, then?

Enquiring minds…

So that’s a yes.

Without sharing a personal photograph, I think I can describe the carnage using a picture of my close friend, Brad Pitt. In this photograph, I have circled what could be described as a dogleg in Brad’s hair line. As I mentioned previously, this is a very normal thing. Not every guy has this, but it’s not uncommon.

Mine is much less pronounced and for some unknown reason, I began to ponder it today with clippers in my hand. It’s probably best to ponder nothing with clippers in your hand. Clippers should be held with purpose and pondering should be an entirely separate activity.

Anyway, right now, I pretty much resemble this. I’m not proud of it. I’m just saying, if you’re going to cut your own hair, please, for your own sake, do not fuck with your hair line. Not even once.

You know what’s the rage this year?..Hats!

–Hobbes

First try the yellow marker.

That’s why they invented baseball caps.

But not just any hat will do.

“Widow’s peak” is the term for that bit of hair in the middle of the hairline. I agree with the OP, just don’t. Its tempting sometimes to want to mess with it. But no.

WHOA! SMUT!

(The OP in repose, au naturel. Nice bow.)

:wink:

Yeah, but he’s talking about the side, near where the sideburns are.

I’ve not quite done that, but I did, while shaving, clean up that area enough that I gave myself a mullet.