Psssst, wanna buy a watch?

I thought fakes of expensive watches were something you bought on a New York side street from a guy with an overcoat. Now you can buy them online (one example, http://www.royal-replicas.com/).

How do these guys do business without getting their butt sued? Seems like wanton trademark fraud to me. I am very surprised they are doing this so openly.

Read the disclaimer

Is there a lawyer handy?

If you like the watch, I’ve got some genuine Oakley sunglasses for you! :rolleyes:

I believe I may also have a bridge in my inventory.

I love this passage from the disclaimer:

Read what Snopes says about this.

And this is the oddest injunction to a site’s customers I’ve ever read:

Do you think it’s supposed to mean what it says?

If you mean “does that mean you can’t print your confirmation page so that you can take legal action when your Feiko doesn’t show up?”, then yes.

However, it appears to be a typo; I think the author has substituted “except” for “solely” in the sentence you quoted.

The disclaimer goes on to state that since the watches aren’t exact copies (which I presume to mean that the movements are produced in Taiwan using recycled pushpins) the operators of the site are immune to prosecution.

They’ve definitely copied the logos directly, though, which would certainly entitle the holders of said logos to a portion of the proceeds, I think.

These things are going for upwards of $200 as well! You can get exact copies of certain Rolex models (down to the movements) for less than that in Dubai (although Board rules prohibit me from saying where :stuck_out_tongue: )

Man, they just cribbed that passage from some other poor schlub.

Side street? Hardly. The best place in New York for this sort of thing is Canal Street, a nice, wide, river-to-river thoroughfare where you buy your fake Rolex from a huge display on the sidewalk.

Side streets are for other illegal items…

I get at least three spam e-mails a day for these things. I am not interested. All my money is going to help this guy in Nigeria…

Great posts, moving the topic along.

But my real question is–how can these guys continue to do business so publicly when what they are doing is blatantly trademark fraud?