Pumpkin cookin' questions?

I bought the obligatory haloween pumpkins and thought I might make pumpkin seeds as long as we’re going to gut the things.

I myself am not a fan of pumpkin seede but my daughter claimed she loved them and ate them at school all the time. So I went on-line and got some info which said to wash and dry them, coat them with oil, sprinkle with salt and bake untill just turning brown.

Problem is no one wants to eat them. Did I do something wrong?
How DO you make pumpkin seeds? Can you eat the shell or do you have to take the shell off? I’m very confused.

Also - how would you make a pumpkin pie from a fresh pumpkin? Is it worth the effort?

As to the seeds- you leave them as they come out of the pumpkin. After you’ve baked them, try carmalizing some sugar with ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg; dump the seeds in that and stir them around a few minutes. Let them cool (dumping any sugar mix remaining in the pan over them), then break them apart if they’re too stuck together.

As to the flesh- fresh is very different, and definitely better, than canned. Just slice and seed it (slices should be maybe 3 or 4 inches max at their widest). Put them, sitting upright, in a pan and lightly cover with aluminum foil. Pop 'em in the oven at 450F and start checking after 40 min. or so- a fork will go into the thicker flesh easily when they’re done. Let them cool, peel off the skin. A quick puree to get rid of lumps, and you’re good to go!

Thanks! I may just try an honest to goodnes pumpkin pie from scratch.

I would not recommend using the flesh from a large pumpkin. It can tend to be woody and stringy. But no harm in trying!

I always like pumpkin seeds roasted in tamari sauce, but sorry, I don’t have a recipe. Mom used to buy them form the health food store when I was a kid.

I spent years making pumpkin pies from real pumpkins - both the jack-o-lantern types and the smaller pie pumkins. The method smaft lists is pretty much what I did - slice, seed, bake until done. Peel and puree.

However, to answer your second question - “is it worth the effort?” I’d say NO! I can’t tell the difference between pie made with real pumpkin and canned pumpkin, even when side by side. Keep in mind this is coming from the woman who once peeled and seeded 7 pounds of cherry tomatoes to make tomato sauce because she couldn’t bare to see them freeze in the garden - I’m definitely willing to go the extra mile to have fresh and tastey food instead of using canned stuff! But IMO, canned pumpkin is almost indistinguishable from “real” pumpkin, and I’ve made the switch permanently.