Punny comic strip names

In Harvey comics (remember those?) the little fat girl was named Lotta Plump. She appeared alongside Richie Rich (“The Poor Little Rich Boy”) and Dot Polka (who always wore polka dots).

Wonder Woman had Etta Candy as a sidekick. She was overweight.

Of course, the Riddler’s real name is Edward Nigma (E. Nigma)

In one JLA comic, Aquaman used the alias “C. King.”

I can imagine what a lot of ten-year-olds added to their copies, too. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Reminds me of the joke about the census taker and the late Chinese tennant: “No, I’m just sitting here, watching TV…”

“Churchy LaFemme” = “cherchez la femme
“Jack S Phogbound” = “Jack is fogbound” an appropriate name for a politician.

Don’t know about the last one, except maybe “C. Kerr” = “seeker”

Jack. S. Phogbound = Jackass Fogbound.
Orpheus C. Kerr = Office seeker.

What’s the joke?

Andy Capp.

Well, you see, the late Mr King, whose first name was Fu, no longer lived at that address. So when the census taker asked the new resident…

“Are you Fu King?”

… he got the answer given above. :smile:

The mother of my best friend in fifth grade told this joke (along with many others) one night when I was steeping over. She was a lot of fun!

This one is best when you say it with a Cockney accent! :grin:

I remember that (and have that issue). It surprised me later to learn that Aquaman actually has a legitimate alternate identity – his legal name is Arthur Curry (at least as of the Silver Age) – I assume the writer of the JLA story either didn’t know that, or had Aquaman going “incognito” at the time

While the slang that originated it has fallen by the wayside, A. Mutt from Mutt and Jeff (often considered the first regular comic strip) is a pun. “Mutt” at the time meant “a slow racehorse,”* particularly appropriate for a strip that started out with horseracing focus. It also meant “a fool” as well as “a mongrel dog.”

Is “Arthur Curry” a pun? :thinking:

I know who Arthur Currie was:

I think that they hadn’t established Arthur Curry when they used C. King. Aquaman didn’t have a secret identity for many years.

I thought about Mutt and Jeff, but the only meaning I knew other than a mongrel dog was the “hip” police slang for “low-life criminal” used in some cop shows.

Superman said “Who would be stupid enough to think his identity could be concealed with just a pair of…oh.”

You can think it, but it’s not the case. They established Curry as Aquaman’s father in Adventure #260 in 1959. Robert Bernstein was the writer

The Justice League comic cited is #27 from May, 1964. Aquaman had been Arthur Curry for five years by then. Gardner Fox was the writer

Me too. Remember the Christmas and Easter Sunday strips where Hipshot would politely decline the townspeople’s offers to attend church as he rode out of town, then went up to the hills where he looked up and spoke to “Boss”?

Little Lulu’s last name was Moppet. The rich kid in the comic was Wilbur van Snobbe, and his girlfriend was Gloria Darling. The Truant Officer was Mr MacNabbem. The owner of the local deli was Mr Kohlkutz, and the man who owned the drugstore was Mr Pestle. There was a magician named Mysto. Lulu had an uncle named Crispy Bacon, who owned a station (ranch) in the Australian Outback.

Not exactly puns, but Lulu’s mom and dad (like the Wilsons in Dennis the Menace) were named George and Martha, like the Washingtons.

Asterix is full of punny names. A partial list:

Obelix makes and delivers monuments. His dog, who is fixated on bones, is Dogmatix.

Getafix is a druid who makes magic potions. Chief Vitalstatistix has ample vital statistics, and his wife is Impedimenta. Cacofonix is a bard who is tone deaf.

The village fishmonger is Unhygenix. The smith who makes weapons is Fulliautomatix.

The Romans have names like Marcus Ginantonicus, Crismus Bonus, Dubious Status, Nefarious Purpus, and Obsequious. An Olympic athlete is called Gluteus Maximus.

Two Egyptian architects are named Artefis and Edifis, and the scribe with a shaved head is Krukut (“Crewcut,” geddit?).

The leaders of the Britons, Caledonians, and Hibernians are Mykingdomforanos, MacAnix, and O’veroptimistix.

And these are in just the English editions of the books!

And she told little Alvin stories about Witch Hazel.