Purchasing a Gun in WA?

I believe that the waiting period for buying a firearm is nationwide? How does that work, do I go into a store with my driver’s license, fill out a form, and tell them which item to put on hold? Any way to call ahead and get the process started so that I don’t have to drive out to the store twice?

I’m thinking to get a 9mm Hi-Point Carbine.* Is there any reason to worry that my local (Seattle area) gun range wouldn’t allow anything more than handguns? (I suspect not, especially given this shoots pistol ammo.) Do I need to buy a case to go with it, or should I expect that it will come with one? I have a three block walk through the middle of downtown to my car if I ever want to go to the range.

• No particular reason beyond that I like the carbine look and it’s cheap and appears to have good reviews. I’ll not be using it for anything beyond killing paper.

Rules on these things vary widely. If I were you I’d call the gun store to ask them these things.

No, the waiting period for handgun purchases is not nationwide, in Maine, I can go into my local gun shop, purchase a handgun, and take it home that day, the longest delay I may run into is a half hour, and that’s for the “instant” background check on the Federal 4473 firearm purchase form, it generally takes around five to fifteen minutes on average

As MacTech said, there’s no national waiting period. In Washington State there is a ten-day waiting period on handgun purchases, which is waived for anyone possessing a concealed pistol license. There should be no waiting period for purchasing a carbine.

Assuming they have the gun you want in stock, you should be able to just walk in, fill out a 4473, wait a few minutes for the instant background check, and walk out with your carbine. As far as range rules go, that would depend on on the individual establishment. I go to Wade’s in Bellevue now and then, and they have no problem with non-members shooting pistol-cartridge carbines on their range. If you’re planning on shooting somewhere else, I’d call and ask just to make sure.

I’d assume a case is a good idea in Seattle. It may or may not come with one, but you can probably haggle for one at the store, see if they will throw one in for free. If it’s an indoor range, they may or may not allow long guns, primarily because they aren’t set up for more powerful rifle rounds, but a pistol caliber carbine might be okay. People either love or hate Hi-Points, I have no real problem or experience with them except that they are ugly.

The shooting range in Kent most definitely is set up for long guns and you are allowed to bring your own in as long as it’s in a case. The only other one I know in the Seattle area is in Bellevue but I’ve never been there.

Good for you man! New guns are fun. Per Open Carry Washington law allows you to carry your shiny new weapon to your car without a case.

I suspect that when they say open carry that they mean something more like a holstered pistol.

Carrying a matte black, three foot long rifle through downtown, out front of several banks and other stores, would just as likely get me shot I suspect.

Well, it’s hard to say for sure. There’s no law in Washington that says that carrying a firearm openly is unlawful unless it’s a holstered pistol, or saying that carrying a rifle or carbine openly is unlawful. Instead we have RCW 9.41.270, which prohibits carrying any firearm “in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.”

As far as I know, the main precedent applying to longarms is State v. Spencer, in which Randolph J. Spencer’s conviction for brandishing under 9.41.270 was upheld by the Washington State Court of Appeals. He had been carrying an AK-47 style rifle at night in a residential area, with a magazine visibly attached, and according to witnesses he had been behaving oddly. There are conflicting accounts as to whether he was carrying it over his shoulder or in an “assaultive” manner (whatever that means), but it would seem that carrying a visibly loaded rifle at night in a residential area satisfies the manner, circumstances, time and place criteria of 9.41.270.

Carrying an unloaded rifle or carbine over your shoulder in broad daylight in a commercial area is probably okay, but it’s entirely possible that you’d be charged with a misdemeanor and end up as another test case. If the court decides that a reasonable person would be alarmed for his or her safety at the sight of you carrying under those circumstances, you’d be out of luck.

In short, yeah, I’d go with a case just to be safe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now if I had a Army of Darkness style back-holster-sling thing…well that would be another story.