Q7 - the computer hand

First let me gloat: On Poker Stars, I was holding Q7 off suit and limped in. Flop was J79, with two of the suits matching my Q. Across the table a guy raises modestly, everyone else folds. I call (hey, play money with pair of 7, longshot flush and straight draw, what the hell). Long story short, I get the straight on the river, and we each bet huge. On showdown, he has AA. Yeah me!

In the chat window, he retorts, “Hmmph, computer”

Through discussion, and by finding this list of slang names for poker hands, I learn that Q7 is called the computer hand, apparently because some guys used a computer to work out that Q7 has the best odds against any random opponent, including AA.

I sez pardon? Is this true? Who were these guys and what were they smoking? Is there a published list for Texas Hold’em for what the actual odds are given any hand pre-flop?

I always understood it as, computer testing determined that pocket Q7 is the just-over-median hand, meaning that you can count on it winning heads up just over 50% of the time against any two random cards.

But, against a specific hand, say AA, it’s an underdog.

In a heads-up game, Q7 or better is just better than even money if you need to make a bet and have no other information. At least that’s always been my take on the computer hand.

I heard that Q8 (off suit) was the better than average hand (presumably Q7 is average).

(Nitpick) Although Q7 is 50% against one random opponent, the ‘specific’ hands that are favourites against it start AA, KK etc. All the usual favuorites.
Q7 is good v Q6!

This is how I always understood the Q7 hand. If you put your opponent on AA, then yeah, you should probably fold. If you’re not sure what he has, and puts out a meager/inconsequential bet, then call. The rest of the play, as you know, varies wildly after the flop. I probably won’t play even suited Q7 against multiple opponents.

I don’t think he should have bet huge on the river. His hand has not improved at all, whereas there is now a possible straight (at least) against him.

He should have bet big before the flop. In fact, I would criticise every one of his bids…