Queer as Folk 5/16 (and perhaps beyond); SPOILERS

So far I’ve stayed strong…

To tell the truth, the spoiler didn’t surprise me one bit. It was time something like that happened on the show, although I thought it would happen to someone else.

What’s on Showtime this Sunday that’s making the schedule skip a week?

And what happened to Queer Duck?

Aw damn, the show’s skipping a week? Shit! I don’t know if I can hold out that long…

I think Queer Duck just…stopped. No big story, they just stopped making new ones and airing the old ones. I have them on tape interspersed with the S2 episodes; they’re not that great for the most part.

:confused:

Showtime’s website schedule shows QaF episode #406 airing at 10:05 PM on May 22nd.

Er, May 23rd. That’s a Sunday. Not the 22nd. That’s a Saturday. :smack:

Damn you Cowlip!

Not sure exactly when it became apparent that Vic was toast but as soon as it did man did the ep seem larded with the portents of it. I’ll miss the character and I’ll miss the actor. I wish they’d developed Vic more as a character, given that he was pretty much the representation of the over-30 segment of the gay community (yes, Michael and Brian are both 30+ but neither of them count). I guess they felt their target demographic wouldn’t support more of an older presence. I suppose that’s it for Rodney too, although I can envision some interesting story lines for him with Debbie (they go co-dependant on each other maybe, or have some big fight over Vic’s insurance policy or something). At least Vic went out on one of the best lines of the series. “I thought you did it for me, Mama.” Calling Debbie on her damn ego trip and her damn martyr complex.

Lindsay and the painter-of-boring-murals: dullsville. I suppose we’re going to have to put up with some return appearances. Yawn.

Brian sure got hit where he lives. The Ted-Emmett-Blake triangle is in motion. Ben’s being a jealous boob over Michael’s steps toward success. Fun!

What news did Brian receive (asked the guy without Showtime)? Is he positive?

More importantly, has Blake been nekkid any this season?

I didn’t get to see the end of the episode, but the last part I saw, Brian was told he had a lump on one of his testicles.

They’re sure it wasn’t just Justin?

Was everybody waiting for me to re-up this thread?

Anyways, look at all the plot! I’m glad that the Debbie’s guilt storyline didn’t necessarily wrap up in one ep. That’s often been a criticism of mine about this show, that potentially interesting storylines wrap very quickly. Just so long as it doesn’t culminate in some bizarre “ghost of gay pride past” thing with a Vic visitation…

So is Brian just not going to have sex with Justin until the hair grows back? I would think it’s kind of difficult to hide ball surgery. And why, oh why can Brian just not say what’s going on? I suppose we’re going to get some big revelation scene in an ep or two, where Justin finds out and offers recriminations to Brian for not fessing up, Brian yammers some more about how they aren’t married and Justin capitulates and continues the emotionally abusive relationship.

Bye-bye Blake, again. It’s good that he and Ted figured out that the timing was wrong for a relationship but on the down side, no more nekkid Blake. But now that Ted and Emmett are back on speaking terms again maybe they’ll get back together.

Brian’s the kind of guy who cringes at any show of sympathy or feelings other than good old lust. He’d hide this forever if he could manage it, just to avoid the “We’re so sorry to hear” parade from the rest of queer Pittsburgh.

I get that, but another big defining character trait of his is not to lie (unless straight people force the lie, in which case it’s not lying). Whenever it comes down to a choice between the two he goes for lying to avoid sympathy. I dunno, just based on the lip service he pays to each principle it seems like the don’t lie should be the pre-eminent characteristic and it never is.

He’s lied before, without the straight people forcing it. What’s “Concerned Citizens of Liberty Avenue” but a lie? What’s the whole thing in Season 2 where he tells Michael he’ll be at the comics convention and doesn’t go because he’s been “tied up” with a cop? What was the whole “doesn’t bother me” act he put on about Justin when he left him for Ethan? Hell, what was the whole thing in Seasons 1 and 2 where he put on the “Never say love” act about Justin?

Brian always runs away from any feeling but lust. He always puts on an act to avoid being beholden to people. That’s the center of Brian’s character. He’s supposed to be an asshole, and he prefers people to think he’s an asshole if it will keep them from being all touchy-feely in a non-sexual way.

Nitpick: I believe that was “Concerned Citizens for the Truth.” I don’t think I’d call that a lie, any more than any other PAC or front group is a lie. I think he meant to meet up with Michael but got sidetracked. And the whole “I don’t miss Justin” thing is denial, which I guess I differentiate from a lie.

But he doesn’t! Oh gee, there’s a stinging response. He’s had interactions with many others that have emotions that he doesn’t run away from.

Last week’s episode was real cheery.

I can understand Brian being more than freeked about losing a nut. I mean, his reputation as Mr. Stud is based on his crotch, and even though it might all look the same after it is all over with, it still has to be a psychological shock to his system. And of course he isn’t going to tell anyone beforehand…he hates anything to do with sympathy…for others and especially himself. Plus, Gay men do have a tendency to be chatty and I am sure he doesn’t want the whole community getting together and having a “Charity Ball” in his name. It is only natural for his character to do this on his own - and telling Justin would be admitting a frailty and would effect their relationship, at least in Brian’s mind.

Debbie went off the deep end this episode, and though I understand her still being upset at having her last words to her beloved brother be, “fuck you”, it still seemed a little over the top, even for her.

And am I the only one who really wishes Ted had died instead of Vic? His character is so one dimentional and tired, and even in his good periods, he is a whiny, self-absorbed bore.

Huh. I figured we’d get at least one Victor Grassi encore, but didn’t figure it would be Brian who’d be the recipient. Easy to dismiss Brian’s actions this week as “he’s an asshole” and he is, but this is him being an asshole out of blind terror. How Brian thought he’d be able to get away with concealing major surgery and follow up treatment for any length of time is beyond me. But Justin handled the situation very badly IMHO. My take on it would have been “Brian, I know you’re sick. For whatever reason you didn’t want me to know but I do. If I can do something for you I will. Let me know.” That, based on Brian’s history, was the only possible way to handle it without a shit fit from Brian.

Nice to see Carl back. I always liked him. Hope he sticks around for a while.

Boring mural guy is back. Yawn. I suppose Lindsey’s going to sleep with him and drama will ensue. Yawn again.

Ben and Michael make up. Yay. But have they really? Is Ben still jealous? I say yes. I like how Hunter’s reacting to this stuff, preparing for the worst. That’s how I’d expect a kid from his background to react, expecting any argument to turn into a breakup and abandonment.

How quickly do you suppose the Rage movie’s going to get made? Considering the timefucks that go on routinely in this series I expect it’ll take about two episodes.

I’m really beginning to hate Michael. His near-instinctive sublimation of his own needs and desires in the face of adversity is seriously pissing me off.

I’m not happy about what it looks like is on tap for next week based on scenes. Speculation: It looks like Lindsey and mural guy screw and Emmett gets raped. Neither of which thrill me as storylines, for radically different reasons.

Well, at the risk of a boring “me too” response, I pretty much agree with everything that Otto said.

It was a bit of a shock to see Vic but funny as well. He was always one of my favorite characters. Speaking of which, it looks like Debbie will start moving in the right direction now, thanks to Carl. It was good to see him.

I think the issues with Ben and Michael are far from resolved. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them break up due to Ben’s continued jealousy. It will be interesting to see how Hunter reacts.

Enough with the artist guy. It just isn’t that interesting of a subplot, IMO.

I’m a little surprised that Brian went so ballisitic towards Justin. It was Brian’s lies that created the situation in the first place. Granted, Justin could have been more tactful but his reaction is far from unreasonable.

Anyone know how many more episodes are in this season?

I believe there are 14 episodes in this season, which would mean we have just passed the halfway point for the season. I sincerely hope I’m wrong as I need more eps than that.

This last one was the ninth episode of this season (taping it for a friend in Germany) and hope there are more than 14, but that sounds about right.

Finally got around to seeing Sunday’s episode tonight…

Brian seemed to have been released pretty damned quick, although I have no idea what the usual recovery time period is for such an operation.

Something will happen to the film so Justin and Michael don’t get much more than an advance to suddenly pay for the godawful headstone Debbie can’t afford. They can’t let the characters get rich…it still pisses me off that they didn’t let Emmet keep the money from Mr. Pickle back in season whatever. Let him at least buy some old mansion for parties or something. The story is structured so that Brian always has to have the most money…although the fact that a lesbian lawyer in a large, upscale law firm seems to be barely earning a living for her family is a mystery to me. And I agree, it looks like the Anne Heche subplot (lesbian reverting back to hetero) is about to surface…double yawn. Would be a lot more interesting for this sexist pig artist to revert to Gay for a fling with Brian.

Oh…a quick question. I always though Debbie owned the diner. But now she is signing up for double shifts…so does she own it and is simply working double shifts for herself, or does someone else own it and she has put in for the extra shifts?

I was always under the impression that Debbie just worked at the diner.
Thanks for the episode info, folks. I lost track as to how many episodes I had seen this season and was fearing that it was almost over. At least I can still get a fix for a while longer.

Does anyone know if they have confirmed another season. I thought I had heard that this was possibly the last one. That would really suck. I’ve become so addicted to this show!