Question about Adam-12 and Emergency

That’s a classic clip.

Regards,
Shodan

Clever comment.

OJ Simpson was in that one. He had one line (referring to the tests cops had to take) “Are the tests hard?”

I never watched Adam 12 much but Emergency (or Emergency 1) was my favorite show when I was in kindergarten through 2nd grade. And like Loach, I loved to hear the big multiple tones that meant big fire and huge rescue.

Some of the stories I vaguely remember are when a girl gets her toe stuck in the faucet while in the bathtub and Roy and Johnny are embarrassed when they see she’s not a little girl, but a good looking young lady, someone pulling up to the station with their camper on fire, the hospital operating on injured animals after a barn fire, some kind of hellacious accident with the ambulance and the paramedics loading the injured onto the back of the firetruck, and when the young black doctor went after the dirty hippies because he thought the were on bad drugs, but it turned out to be spider bites.

When I was little I was playing nurse with my dolls and gave an order for ringers lactate. My mother almost fell over laughing.

That was Laura Petrie in The Dick Van Dyke Show.

:smiley:

TKO!

Every Single Time!

Oh, it also happened on “Emergency”!

And remember the lady stuck in the girdle? Her chief complaint was “trouble breathing.”
~VOW

When there was a heart attack patient, he got “mumble mumble” milligrams of MS!
~VOW

Yes, he was a creepy perv they thought had kidnapped a teenager and was keeping her in a secret cabin, but it turned out that a teenager he had kidnapped years ago was living in the cabin, waiting for his return, and when he did, she was all like, “I love you! I love you!” and he was all like, “Ewwww. You’re old.”

Kevin Tighe has a great role as the villain in the John Sayles’ movie Maetwan.

For some reason, the theme song for Emergency! is indelibly ingrained in my memory.

Kevin Tighe also played John Locke’s rotten kidney-stealing father on “Lost”.

Hundreds of childhood hours wasted happily watching Emergency! have led to hundreds of adult hours of wasted happily watching Casualty and Holby City.

The episode that stands out in my mind, and had an effect on the world was one where they had an Emergency in someone’s bathroom. While they were doing that they were watched upon by the patient’s beer swilling brother(?) while he cracked wise. After they had helped the patient, the brother started to choke because he had put the pull tab in the can and then swallowed it while guzzling beer. New Emergency!

After seeing that episode EVERYONE I knew stopped dropping their pull tabs into the can (mind you we were talking soda here but still).

I don’t know if this scene was based on real incidents or just one of those things people assumed happened. Either way, pull tabs were redesigned a few years later to what we have today - where the tab is attached to the can so there is no temptation to drop it into the can.

I remember that one too!

I remember that ep. The tab swallower was played by Cliff Osmond (who recently died–one of those faces that was everywhere in the 1960s and 1970s, but you never knew his name, looked somewhat like Roger C. Carmel). At the time, I had no idea people did such stuff.

Another one that stands out to me was when Robert Fuller (Dr. Bracken) himself has to go out in the field to assist. A man has his hand caught in some kind of gears or grinder, and is in danger of bleeding to death. Dr. Bracken tells them something like “It comes OUT, or it comes OFF [amputation], but either way, we’re doing it now!”

Yup. You opened a can, and dropped the tab in it. Ironically it was because we were trying to reduce litter.

yes he did. ordinary people were portrayed having a few screws loose. this went back to Dragnet in both the 50’s tv and 40’s radio versions.

I remember that episode!

The guy was drunk, crashed his car, and was arrested. His loudmouth friend then called the officer a pig and his wife a pig. There were varying versions of the story from each of the drunk’s three friends. They all worked at a furniture store and the girl had been doing an impression of an opera singer just before their party broke up.

The proof that the loudmouth assaulted the officer was the officer’s torn uniform blouse, brought in by the officer’s wife.

In spite of this, he still gets suspended without pay for a month.

Well I guess in his defense, it is LA.

I remember that episode, too. I still cringe at the thought of dropping a tab in a soda/beer can. I’ve even seen people tear off the attached tab and drop it in the can. Stupid. Didn’t they see that episode?

Do you remember the episode of *Emergency! *where the guys are making a medical call at someone’s house. While they’re working on the patient, a jet airliner crashes on top of the house. (Talk about a bad day at work!) Naturally, Engine 51 gets the call to work the plane crash. As they’re working, they realize that their Squad 51 buddies are in the rubble somewhere. I can still see the ceiling caving in as our intrepid heroes look up as the plane crashes.

I would recreate the various accidents and other events out in my sandbox in the back yard.