Question about cake pans

After destroying two sets of nonstick cake pans in less than ten years of playing house, I decided that my next set needed to be plain metal, so I could scrub them and abuse them and not need to replace them again any time soon.

It looks like everything available in the all-metal sphere is aluminum. So I asked for some, and got some, for Christmas.

Yesterday I made baklava in one of them, and lined the pan with a sheet of wax paper for nonstick goodness, and we had the baklava at our dinner party and everyone was happy.

This morning, I prised one of the leftover end pieces out of the pan and ate it. It tasted unmistakably metallic. I have to assume that it absorbed some aluminum from the end of the pan it was against, that didn’t have wax paper in it.

So seriously. Are we supposed to either spend our lives lining aluminum pans FULLY before we bake anything in them, and the only alternative is periodically destroying and replacing nonstick stuff? Am I missing something?

Have you tried greasing and flouring the pan before you bake in it?
Rub the inside of the pan with Crisco, or butter or whatever then toss in some flour and spread it around by tilting the pan. Pour off the excess.
If you are going to be leaving your creation in the pan, you can also cook in a glass baking dish. IIRC a 13X9 is the same volume as two 9" round cake pans.

I never line my aluminum pans, and have never baked in anything else for about 45 years. I do grease and flour the pans as most recipes recommend it, but the food never tastes metallic.

Maybe the grease and flour thing is my problem. After so many years of baking in nonstick, I don’t even see that part of the instructions anymore.

…and that may be why you needed to replace your nonstick pans, as well. Grease and flour is standard even with nonstick pans. Otherwise, things (especially things like baklava) stick. Yes, I know what they’re called. They lie.

And, did you mean *parchment *paper? 'Cause waxed paper in anything that needs to bake is gross. The wax melts and gets into your food and pollutes your precious bodily fluids. And then the paper breaks apart as you’re cutting and serving and people have to pick bits of soggy paper out of their baklava. Not good eats.

Yeah, you can use waxed paper, if you want but I don’t recommend it and if it’s exposed it can smoke really badly. Parchment paper is your friend.

Silpats (or the generic equivalent silicon sheets) have saved many a baking pan. However, without those I definitely butter/flour even nonstick pans. Even if you use parchment, you should butter the pan and then layer the parchment on if it’s a particularly sticky batter.

I am addicted to silicone pans. They don’t last that well ( well, they don’t for me but I use most of my silicone stuff at least a couple of times a week) but I hate having things stick and having to prise food off a metal pan. Worth it to replace them.

you realize the cooking vessels are generally not storage vessels and you should have taken the baklavah out and put it into a tupperoid container?

Frequently storing food in nonsticks is bad because stuff that is cold is frequently harder to dig out and oyou may get harder on digging and damage the coating, or the coating may loosten and adhere to the food?

I agree about buttering and flouring your cake tins, even if they are non-stick. I opened the thread because I was mystified as to how you destroyed yours - now I know!

The easiest thing is to use an oil-and-flour spray. Commercial bakers often use Baker’s Joy. There are other brands available in supermarkets, but I’ve read that Baker’s Joy is better because it contains no lecithin (which can cause sticky residue on the pan).

I’ve never gotten a metallic taste from any pan I’ve ever baked or cooked in, nonstick, aluminum or steel. So I have no idea what it is you are tasting. I leave baked goods in metal pans frequently, with no ill effect. But I have never, ever expected a non-stick pan to not need some greasing and flouring. But use parchment instead. Maybe you are tasting the wax?

Aluminum-flavored wax, yum, yum.

I DO use the flour-and-oil sprays, even with my nonstick. Apparently they’re not as good as butter and flour.

And the baklava is about the only thing I’ve baked that didn’t come out of the baking pan right away (pies and crisps being the obvious exception). Bread and cakes and muffins and cookies need air circulation to cool.