...Question about moderation in the Biden pro-Palestine thread

Continuing the discussion from Are there any "good" options for pro-Palestine voters (as opposed to "choose between bad vs. worse"):

…seeking an explanation here.

Not trying to convince pro-Palestine voters to vote for Biden is the strategic option I was recommending. Those voters are not going to change their mind. Spending any amount of time and resources on trying to change their minds would be a strategic mistake.

Spend time and resources to get people where this isn’t the primary issue to get out and vote instead. Lean into the current strategy of largely ignoring the demands of the pro-Palestine movement and continue on course. Focus on the swing states and the small number of voters that make a difference instead.

That was the gist of my posts in that thread, which I summarised in final post that was moderated. How is this a “non-answer?”

That was one of the worst hijacks I’ve ever seen.

@Aspenglow went light initially.

It was only tangentially on topic and then the back and forth was completely off.

Also, remember, this is ATMB, don’t start arguing or explaining the Palestinian issue in this thread either.

I’m not a mod, but your answer is about what the Biden campaign should do. The OP is asking what should a pro-Palestine voter do. So your answer isn’t really on topic.

…someone accused me of posting misinformation. I think responding to that at least deserved a response in that thread, in the very next post I bought it back on topic.

I was moderated for posting a “non-answer.” I reposted my alleged “non-answer”, and have asked for clarification on why it was a non-answer.

…I answered that. They should sit out the next election if thats what they want to do.

You hijacked the thread
If you think something was wrong with the reply flag it.

Don’t make the hijack worse.

…to be clear here: I was responding to a hijack. The other poster hijacked the thread. If they thought there was something wrong, they could have just flagged my post.

No, you hijacked it.

And this post you drew the warning for was still not on topic.

For responding to a hijack, you received a mod note.

For disregarding moderator instructions and continuing to post off-topic posts in the thread, you received a warning.

I agree that it was something of a hijack initially–but disagree that he was ignoring moderator instructions. While technically saying that Biden has lost the pro-Palestine vote might be advice to Biden and not the voters, it seems like hairsplitting: he’s clearly (to me) arguing that Biden is NOT a good choice for pro-Palestine voters.

I appreciate bringing the thread back on track, but think the warning should be rescinded.

I agree with this analysis.

~Max

Full context play by play:

Velocity’s OP:

Banquet_Bear answers the OP in part, by implication (don’t vote Biden) but invites hijacks on a number of topics. E.g. whether the IDF have committed a number of specific atrocities, Democratic party culpability for abortion issues, trans issues, voting rights issues.

Babale takes up the invitation by countering a claim about mass graves. He also says this constitutes a hijack and reports his and Banquet_Bear’s posts.

Banquet_Bear addresses Babale’s counter.

Babale writes a short response and againpoints out he is reporting the posts as a hijack.

Banquet_Bear tries to get the last word in and steer the hijack back with a variation of his original position: Biden has lost the pro-Palestinian vote.

I believe this is when the above posts were split into another thread.

Babale gets in another last word.

Aspenglow mod notes the hijack and says to keep discussion in the original thread on topic.

This thread is for the narrow discussion about how best to use your vote if you are pro-Palestine and not pleased with how you perceive President Biden is handling the situation on behalf of the USA.

Banquet_Bear makes another off-topic post.

Aspenglow warns Banquet_Bear for failure to heed moderator instructions and moves his post to the hijack thread.

~Max

And I was ready to give warnings out to both BB and Babale and they’re both lucky that @Aspenglow got to it first.

It is one of the worst hijacks I’ve seen.