Hijacking posts for voting strategy thread, Gaza stuff

…can we not do this?

This week in Gaza Palestinians are discovering and exhuming mass graves. Over 700 bodies have been found so far including women, children, patients, hospital staff, people who have had their hands tied, shot in the head.

Over on the West Bank a couple of days ago in a raid on a refugee camp 14 Palestinians were killed, 50 injured, and 4000 homes had their power and water cut off.

Massive atrocities and war crimes have happened under Biden’s watch and tacit approval. Biden isn’t “pressuring Bibi.” He’s letting him do whatever he likes. And “abstaining from UN votes” does nothing when the United States has cut off funding to UNRWA for no good reason at all.

Biden is a lot of things. But one thing that he isn’t is a “good option for pro-Palestinian voters.” It’s unconscionable to expect Palestinian Americans who have had their families wiped out, to expect students who have been doxxed, kicked out of their dorms, beaten and arrested this week, for Palestinian journalists who have been banned from reporting on the conflict, for people who have been accused of anti-semitism and blood libel for simply expressing the most milquetoast defence of the Palestinian people, to think that Biden is a “good option for pro-Palestine voters.” A vote for Biden is a vote for the death and destruction to continue. Lets not pretend otherwise.

For decades marginalised folk have held their nose and voted for the Democrat on the ticket. And here we are in 2024. Abortion banned in multiple states. The Supreme Court in the hands of the right for at least a generation. Trans people having to flee states in order to continue to recieve healthcare. And this week, student protest in support of the Palestinian people have been portrayed as “anti-Semitic” both by the media and from the highest levels of the Biden administration. Many universities have let the police in to “smash them up.”

“Trump will be worse” is not going to work this time. People are going to silently sit out the next election because they cannot, in good concious, vote for the person that they consider to be in part, responsible for a genocide.

And if Biden does lose the next election, you better NOT blame those who decided to stay at home. Not this time. “Guilt-tripping people” is not an effective political strategy. “Trump will be worse” is not an effective political strategy. Not when the benchmark here is how Biden has handled the conflict in Gaza.

Giving people something to vote for is an effective election strategy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/31/world/palestinian-american-family-relatives-killed-gaza/index.html

Expecting people who have experienced this level of loss, or people who are standing in solidarity with them, should “be first in line, canvassing, doing whatever they can to get out the Biden vote”, is an unbelievably bad take.

There are going to be a lot of people, with very good reason, that will be sitting the next election out. You all should be aware of that now. Just accept that. If you want Biden to win, then you need to change your strategy fast. Guilt-tripping and gas-lighting isn’t going to work. Banning TikTok isn’t going to work. I honestly don’t know what will work. Statistically, It’s going to come down to a handful of voters in a handful of states anyway.

…can we not do this?

This is debunked misinformation.

I wasn’t going to participate in this thread, but repeating debunked misinformation is just too far.

I reported the misinformation with a cite and will not be returning to this thread so as not to hijack it, so please do not reply to this post with further hijacks of the topic.

…no it is not.

Geolocation isn’t credible. There were IDF massacres at the hospitals. Multiple witnesses. Physical evidence. And the cuffed bodies speak for themselves.

The beautiful thing about GeoConfirmed is that they give you all the evidence you need to come to your own conclusion.

But I’m not getting into a hijack argument with you here. Reporting all involved posts again.

…the not-beautiful thing about the video and the photos and the testimony is that we can’t ignore that.

And to bring it back on topic: its these photos and these videos and this testimony that pro-Palestine voters have been seeing and listening to for the last six months. And those voters are never, ever going to be voting for Biden. He’s lost their votes. If you want Biden to win the next election, you’ve got to figure out another way.

…Just like the photos and videos from years ago that show these alleged IDF graves being dug. Cannot ignore that either.

…my strategic answer to the OP is that Biden has lost the pro-Palestine vote. You aren’t going to get them. The scale of the atrocities is too big. And Biden and his administration is not going to change course.

Focus on other issues. Pretend Gaza isn’t happening. Gaslight. That’s the strategy the administration have adopted so far. Just lean into it. Because I’ll say it again, he isn’t getting the pro-Palestine vote.

…well, since I’m the OP, I’ll set the tone for this thread, I’ll suppose.

Let’s make it about how Biden’s policy on Gaza has been an absolute disaster, and if Trump wins the next election, it’s all going to be Biden’s fault.

So in other words, the Palestinians are doomed and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Ever the optimist, ain’t ya?

…I’ve said that the endgame for Palestinians will be either one of three things: they manage to escape from Gaza and live the rest of their lives in exile, they will live under brutal occupation in what remains of Palestinian terrritory, or they will be killed, either by the bombing, the shooting, or the siege.

This is how it ends under Biden. This is how it ends under Trump. And there is nothing that any of us can do about it.

There is absolutely no reason to be optimistic about this.

If this is literally how the Israelis are behaving in Gaza, then I would agree it couldn’t get worse under Trump, and friends of Gaza might as well vote for Cornel West.

While the quoted claim seems obvious incitement, I can see waiting a few weeks for more mainstream investigation, after which I expect some U.S. spokesperson to say it was not true. And, if you are correct that this extreme atrocity story is already proven, and I am correct about what the U.S. will eventually say about it, that means the Biden administration is covering up atrocities, just as much as Trump might. So again – Cornel West.

Rushing to judgment that Hamas did the children and nurses hands tied/shot in the head thing would also be incitement. The more extreme the atrocity story, the more reason to go slow in judgment.

If true, the political answer would be to go more one-sidedly pro-Israel in hopes of getting single-issue pro-Israel voters. He could highlight some of Trump’s arguably pro-Palestinian statements, such as endorsement of the “Genocide Joe” canard.

Am I really advising Biden to pander to a voting block by adopting a foreign policy he doesn’t believe in? Of course not. Pandering, whether to you or me, besides being morally wrong, will lose at least as many votes as it gains.

…I’d agree with this. And that appears to be the strategy they have chosen. They aren’t even attempting to pander to the pro-Palestinian vote. As I said: lean into it.

…the thing is, we can completely ignore the bodies claim if you like. The only reason I mentioned it at all was because it was the most recent documented atrocity. The siege is still ongoing. At least 100 Gazans are being killed every single day. People trying to return home in the north risk getting killed. Aid trucks are routinely targeted. The healthcare system has been destroyed. They literally burned down Al Shifa hospital.

There are no shortages of atrocities that we could use here. And the Biden administration has been almost silent on all of them.

That’s a pretty big “if” considering how BB’s source is Al Jazeera, who have lied countless times throughout this conflict.

A major example was when they lied about Israel bombing a hospital and killing 500 people when in fact a Palestinian rocket failed, hit a parking lot, and killed maybe 50 people. A claim that AFAIK neither Al Jazeera (nor Banquet Bear, again AFAIK though I could have missed it) have retracted despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

It makes sense that BB would claim GeoConfirmed is “unreliable” since they were one of the early sources to call BS (with proof) on the hospital strike story.

Biden has no 'watch" authority in another sovereign nation. Nor approval. Biden can no more control Netanyahu than he can control Putin.

Biden can not stop the death in Gaza, short of landing the US Marines-which would cause more death and destruction. Only Netanyahu and the Hamas leadership can.

trump will be worse- lots worse, and yes if you sit out the election you are supporting trump and more death and destruction- not to mention the end of American Democracy.

How? What can Joe Biden do- legally- to stop the deaths in Gaza? Cut aid to Israel? The President can’t do that. Land the Marines at Maswaa Rafab wharf? The president cant do that.

Blaming Biden for Gaza is like blaming Biden for famine in Ethiopia.

What Policy? Putting as much legal pressure he can on Netanyahu?

The “500” number was used by a number of different sources, not just Al Jazeera, who have not “lied” countless times throughout this conflict. Further from the blog:

Any mistakes in regard to the casualties can be put down to a translation error.

As for what caused the damage to the hospital:

From wiki, original sources cited:

There is conflicting evidence here as to what caused it. But the thing is…in the larger scale of things? Israel have destroyed the Gazan healthcare system. Destroyed multiple hospitals, including burning down Al Shifa.

And since that hospital strike story, the IDF have done this:

So here’s my question to you: Israel claimed that in its last raid of Al Shifa, they killed at least 200 “terrorists.” Taking those claims at face value: what did they do with those bodies?

…so the claims made in the other thread that Biden could put pressure on Bibi were completely 100% unfounded.

Gotcha.

So Biden…and America, are completely ineffective on the world stage, are unable to influence foreign policy anywhere else, and in fact, have never ever done that ever in the entire history of the United States, and are unable to do anything here.

Gotcha.

Yeah, not going to work on me I’m afraid. I don’t have a vote.

Well nothing, apparently! Thanks for clearing that up. Gazans are doomed either way. A vote for the President is meaningless. Good to know.

I’ll blame Biden if he loses. He had the election in the bag until he decided to go all in on this.

:: adds to the list ::

Biden doesn’t have a policy on Gaza.

Gotcha.

Yeah, but what about Mexico’s President Lopez-Obrador’s policy on civil conflict in the Central African Republic? What about it?

So what is the alternative?

Like it or not voters will have two choices for president come November (third parties exist but only two will have a realistic chance).

Lower voter turnout almost always swings in republican’s favor.

Third party candidates may peel votes from either side depending on the candidate but there is almost no chance a third party candidate will win.

So yeah, Biden may be a bad choice if you support the people in Gaza.

Trump will be worse for them (not to mention a whole lot of other things). Period. Full stop.

Vote for whoever you want on election day but do not fool yourself that not voting is the best thing you can do for the people in Gaza. I do not think they will thank you for it if Trump wins but at least you embraced some notion that you showed Biden and the democrats that you don’t like their policy on Gaza!

The realpolitik of voting in the US. No one likes it but it’s what we got.

No, he can and has “put pressure”, but he has no authority no control over Netanyahu, who has just ignored Bidens pressure.

Influence yes, and that is what Biden is doing. But what we used to do is send in the marine and a couple gunboats. This is no longer a proper solution.

I asked a question what do YOU think Biden can do?

No, not meaningless- Biden has put pressure on Netanyahu to end the slaughter. trump would put pressure on Netanyahu to increase the slaughter. I think that is a difference.

Biden does not have and has never “had the election in the bag”. :roll_eyes: And he has decided to put as much pressure on Netanyahu as his office allows.

Putting as much pressure on Netanyahu as his office allows. and sending aid to the people of Gaza.

I asked a question what do YOU think Biden can do?

But you dont seem to have an answer. Too many people think the best policy is to yell loudly and often - “SOMETHING MUST BE DONE1” without having a good answer what that something is. That policy is worse than useless.

No, Biden is a Okay choice. He is doing all he can within the legal power of his office to end the slaughter.